Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Catalyst Edit App Help

Dtopper25

Greetings folks,

So, I'm kinda new with the Edit App and I have Simple Delay, and a Hall Reverb (both On).  

I want to dial in the Delay, going into the Reverb...that's it, and find my tone from there.

My question: DO I click 'Pre' or 'Post' on the delay side...and how about on the Reverb side?

...and other suggestions (I want to dial the tone with a bluesy Type of guitar solo) for my 2nd single, a Rock Ballad.

THANK you for all the help.  Cheers!

If you think of Reverb as the sound of the space you're playing in, then you want Reverb to be POST.

OTOH, IN THE BEGINNING there were amps without FX Loops, and the famous Fender Reverb Tank went between the guitar and amp input.

So, if you want lollipop Dale Surf music sounds, place it PRE.

I generally think of Delay as part of the "ambient space", like Reverb, so I put it POST.

OTOH, David Gilmour was fond of the big washy sounds he got by putting both Delay and Reverb PRE.

Up until recently, anyone who played through a Marshall or Fender amp with Delay had the Delay on their pedalboard.

Think Joe Satriani "Surfing with the Alien".

Unless, of course, the Delay and Reverb was added by the recording engineer in Post.

So, the definitive answer is that there is no definitive answer. The joy of digital and the genius of the Catalyst and it's Edit app is that it takes mere moments to move the Delay from Pre to Post and back again, a simple twist of a knob to reconfigure Delay Time an Mix for each position and, no matter what you do, the Magic Smoke will never escape!

Here's a tip. You can EASILY A/B any configuration.

Start on Channel A. Set it up any way you like. When you're happy, DO NOT SAVE! Just switch to Channel B and repeat.

You can switch back and forth and the settings will not be lost between Channels. When you've decided, easily SAVE to any of the 12 Channels (presets).

Don't like anything and want to get back to the original configuration you had on that Channel? Just switch BANKS.

Nothing you do on a Channel is SAVED until you CHOOSE to SAVE it, and the original configuration is restored by simply switching BANKS.

As for getting a "Blues" sound, that's entirely in your head.

For Buddy Guy I'd use the CRUNCH (Voltage) with low GAIN, add ROOM Reverb (POST) to taste. Use a Strat of course.

For "Satch Boogie" same amp with a lot more GAIN (or 2204MOD), cranked BOOST and a Digital Delay (POST) and HALL Reverb (POST). Ibanez shred type dual HB.

Again, the brilliance of the Catalyst is that you have actual knobs to twist, just like a REAL amp!

You only really need the APP for deep FX parameters.

Experiment and HAVE FUN!

Final thought - You DID install the latest update with the new amps, right?

On 3/25/2024 at 10:26 AM, rd2rk said:

Frelling robot censor has a dirty mind!

On 3/25/2024 at 9:26 AM, rd2rk said:

If you think of Reverb as the sound of the space you're playing in, then you want Reverb to be POST.

OTOH, IN THE BEGINNING there were amps without FX Loops, and the famous Fender Reverb Tank went between the guitar and amp input.

I generally think of Delay as part of the "ambient space", like Reverb, so I put it POST.

OTOH, David Gilmour was fond of the big washy sounds he got by putting both Delay and Reverb PRE.

Up until recently, anyone who played through a Marshall or Fender amp with Delay had the Delay on their pedalboard.

Think Joe Satriani "Surfing with the Alien".

Unless, of course, the Delay and Reverb was added by the recording engineer in Post.

So, the definitive answer is that there is no definitive answer. The joy of digital and the genius of the Catalyst and it's Edit app is that it takes mere moments to move the Delay from Pre to Post and back again, a simple twist of a knob to reconfigure Delay Time an Mix for each position and, no matter what you do, the Magic Smoke will never escape!

Here's a tip. You can EASILY A/B any configuration.

Start on Channel A. Set it up any way you like. When you're happy, DO NOT SAVE! Just switch to Channel B and repeat.

You can switch back and forth and the settings will not be lost between Channels. When you've decided, easily SAVE to any of the 12 Channels (presets).

Don't like anything and want to get back to the original configuration you had on that Channel? Just switch BANKS.

Nothing you do on a Channel is SAVED until you CHOOSE to SAVE it, and the original configuration is restored by simply switching BANKS.

As for getting a "Blues" sound, that's entirely in your head.

For Buddy Guy I'd use the CRUNCH (Voltage) with low GAIN, add ROOM Reverb (POST) to taste. Use a Strat of course.

For "Satch Boogie" same amp with a lot more GAIN (or 2204MOD), cranked BOOST and a Digital Delay (POST) and HALL Reverb (POST). Ibanez shred type dual HB.

Again, the brilliance of the Catalyst is that you have actual knobs to twist, just like a REAL amp!

You only really need the APP for deep FX parameters.

Experiment and HAVE FUN!

Final thought - You DID install the latest update with the new amps, right?

I will try POST for both (Delay and Reverb)....and experiment.  And try to find that 'blues Rock' tone I am after (my song needs it).

Funny you mentioned Buddy Guy (I am listening to his 'Blues Don't Lie' recent album right now).  Always a pleasure.

....and no...I do not have the new Catalyst CX (if that is what you are referring to). I got the original Catalyst.  No need for me to get additional amp settings.  Or any downloads to do.  Thank you for your help!!  Much appreciated.  Cheers! 

On 3/28/2024 at 5:07 AM, Dtopper25 said:

I will try POST for both (Delay and Reverb)....and experiment.  And try to find that 'blues Rock' tone I am after (my song needs it).

Funny you mentioned Buddy Guy (I am listening to his 'Blues Don't Lie' recent album right now).  Always a pleasure.

....and no...I do not have the new Catalyst CX (if that is what you are referring to). I got the original Catalyst.  No need for me to get additional amp settings.  Or any downloads to do.  Thank you for your help!!  Much appreciated.  Cheers! 

You do not need to buy a new amp to get the new features, including the ability to use any two effects (vs any effect + reverb).

Just install the latest FW update. The only difference between the new and old amps is the silk-screening on the panel and the panel trim is SCREWED down! 

You'll also need to update the App.

TRY IT, YOU"LL LIKE IT!