Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Missing Factory Presets

DulcimerBoy05

So, I purchased a HELIX LT this weekend. After spending a few hours trying out the different factory presets, I settled on one labeled "Placater Clean". I liked the sound it provided for a few songs that I had to play on Sunday for a worship service. I only made 1 slight edit, I changed the chorus effect. 

Unfortunately, I was also having some software issues with my unit. Sometimes on boot up I would receive the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode" error message. Other times it would boot up fine, but at some point the unit would freeze and I wouldn't be able to navigate to other presets (or even toggle effects on/off on the preset I was currently using at the time of the freeze). I checked to see if I needed a firmware upgrade, but the unit had the latest firmware (3.71) installed. 

Since I had only made that 1 slight edit to the Placater Clean preset, I didn't think it would be an issue to do a full factory reset on my unit and see if that would clear up the software issues. To my surprise, once the reset was complete, I could no longer find the "Placater Clean" preset. It was now gone. In fact, I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of new factory preset names that I didn't recall being there when I first opened up my unit and browsed the list. 

I wish I had a before and after picture, but I swear it's a whole new list of factory presents.  

So, I'm puzzled and confused. I don't know how that could have happened. I can't find a historical list of old presets on older firmware versions to cross check and see if maybe (especially because of the above issues I was having) if my system had the newer firmware installed but was running off an older version. Then my reset caused the newer presets to load and display. 

Can anyone shed some light? And if that Placater Clean preset was an old factory preset that has been replaced. Could someone point me in the direction to either properly recreate it, or download it and reload it. 

Also, I've ruled out that maybe my unit was a return and the previous owner had loaded some additional presets. The unit I bought was not an open box item. It was a brand new unit. There was nothing in the packaging that would lead me to believe that it was a returned unit that the store was attempting to sell as brand new. 

Every version of firmware includes a set of factory presets but they change over time. Also, the factory presets are not installed when firmware is updated; it requires a factory reset to install them. So what you’ve experienced makes perfect sense. At some point in time the firmware was updated to v3.71 from some earlier version but the factory presets for the earlier version remained in place - including the Placater Clean preset. When you performed the factory reset the v3.71 factory presets were installed, overwriting the previous set - including the Placater Clean preset.

I have no idea what version of firmware included the Placater Clean factory preset but there’s a way to get it without needing anyone’s help. It’s tedious. You would have to reinstall every version of firmware starting at v3.70 and perform a factory reset after each installation so that you could inspect the factory presets associated with that firmware version. At some point you will discover the Placater Clean preset.

A more efficient method would be to have someone help you by spending some time locating the Placater Clean preset among their system backups and attaching it for you. Or, search for threads here that I sometimes post that provide the factory setlists for new firmware versions shortly after they are released. I haven’t always done that but I’ve done it for recent updates. For instance:

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

On 3/26/2024 at 1:10 AM, DulcimerBoy05 said:

Could someone point me in the direction to either properly recreate it, or download it and reload it.

Hi,

Forum contributor Ben Vesco (Malhavok) has made a download available of lots of old and deleted Factory Presets for the Helix completists - if necessary, you should be able to find it there.

http://benvesco.com/store/line-6-helix/

Hope this helps/makes sense.