Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to chain sounds in HX Edit to retain Amp sounds using stomp 4Cable method

medicinewolf99

I have several questions all related to each other. 

I have a stomp XL and am using the 4 cable method of connecting to my Mesa head. I want to use the original amp sound as I like it and just use the effects part of the stomp(distortion, Wah(I have an expression pedal) delay, chorus are the main ones. 

1. How do I chain these in HX edit using the 4CM so I still have the Mesa sound but just with those effects? Where do I put the effects loop in the chain? I see L and R outs as well so I'm just confused on how to chain it together. It seems that when I have the stomp connected through the 4CM it colors the amps sound and I don't get the true amp sound. I do not have any amp or cab models in the chain.

2. If I just want to use the Mesa amp for my distortion and do a lead boost what would be the best stomp pedal for that? 

3. Once I have the chain  in HX Edit with effects loop in there, DO i need to turn the effects loop on and off and assign it to a switch? If so what does that do exactly?

4cm:

1)

Guitar>HXSXL Input

This is where you put the FX you want BEFORE the Mesa Preamp

After those FX you place the FX Loop L Block

HXSXL SEND (TS cable = Left Send)>Mesa Input

Mesa FX Loop Send>HXSXL L/Mono Return

This will return the Mesa's Preamp (with the FX assigned before the HXSXL FX Loop Block) to the FX Loop Block

After the FX Loop Block is where you put FX like Delay/Reverb that you want between the Mesa Preamp and Poweramp

HXSXL L/Mono MAIN Output>Mesa FX Loop Return

2)

if you want a CLEAN boost to the overall volume, you can either place a GAIN Block at the END of the chain (before the Output block) or, to conserve a Block, assign a FS to the Output Block Level and set the MIN (Bypass/Controller Assign in HX Edit) to 0db and the MAX to whatever you want (I use +4db).

3)

Only if you want to replace the Mesa Preamp with a Helix Amp/Preamp, in which case you place the Helix Amp Block next to the FX Loop Block, assign both to the same FS, and SAVE the preset with the FX Loop ON (the default for the Preset) and the Helix Amp OFF. This will Toggle the FX Loop (ON = Mesa Preamp, Helix Amp=OFF) and the Helix Amp (FX Loop =OFF, Helix Amp=ON).

SO now i have it on a blank preset and still not getting my "true amp sound" its like the distortion isn't coming through and none of my amp controls affect the sound at all. So then I hit the bypass on the line 6 effects unit and still same thing...no true amp sound...and amp controls don't affect the sound including volume and gain....So it must be the way I have everything routed,,,Doesn't seem like how I have everything in HX edit is the issue

I have guitar>Stomp input(L Mono)

Stomp L Mono output > Amp return

stomp L mono return> Amp Send

Stomp Stereo Send > AMP input

On 4/19/2024 at 10:21 PM, medicinewolf99 said:

SO now i have it on a blank preset and still not getting my "true amp sound" its like the distortion isn't coming through and none of my amp controls affect the sound at all. So then I hit the bypass on the line 6 effects unit and still same thing...no true amp sound...and amp controls don't affect the sound including volume and gain....So it must be the way I have everything routed,,,Doesn't seem like how I have everything in HX edit is the issue

I have guitar>Stomp input(L Mono)

Stomp L Mono output > Amp return

stomp L mono return> Amp Send

Stomp Stereo Send > AMP input

You need an FX Loop L block in the path for it to work.

Also for unity gain make sure Global Settings -> Ins/Outs -> Input Level, Output Level and Send/Return L are set to Inst. Also crank the VOLUME knob.

On 4/19/2024 at 10:22 PM, medicinewolf99 said:

yes and im just checking...it seems to be working....and I thought my previous post just confirmed what your diagram depicted...If im still messing up then I guess I suck at following diagrams

My description and his diagram, plus the descriptions and diagrams in the manual, should be enough.

But you say it's working, so ROCK ON!