Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie HX Stomp Question

philthethrill21

Hello all.

I recently purchased an HX Stomp and, I'm sure its been asked many times, but I was hoping for some help in how to wire it?

I'm wanting to use it for some wah and pitch-shift stuff up front but also the looper and time based effects in the back.  

But I want to use my other pedals for the time based stuff.

Can the HX Stomp be wired in that way?

I.e.  Volume>(HX Stomp?)>Comp>Several Drives>(Maybe HX effects loop here along with some other built in effects?  Not sure if possible)>Delay (Possibly in the HX effects loop)>Reverb (Possibly in the HX effects loop>HX Looper.  Probably not necessary info, but I also have the JET Pedals midi controller for the Stomp.

I know this sounds like a stretch, but if I can get remotely close to it, that would be great.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

On 5/7/2024 at 6:42 PM, philthethrill21 said:

but I was hoping for some help in how to wire it?

Hi,

Best place for help on how to wire it up is to see the HX Stomp3.0 Owner's Manual > Pages 9-11, Quick Start "Hooking it all up".

https://line6.com/data/6/0a00050b058066312873a50cf/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

On 5/7/2024 at 6:42 PM, philthethrill21 said:

i.e.  Volume>(HX Stomp?)>Comp>Several Drives>(Maybe HX effects loop here along with some other built in effects?  Not sure if possible)>Delay (Possibly in the HX effects loop)>Reverb (Possibly in the HX effects loop>HX Looper.

O.K. even as a newbie, at the very least you should have checked out the basic spec of the HX Stomp, which would reveal that you are limited to signal path that can contain a maximum of 8 blocks available to play around with.  Looking at your example above, if you are considering using an external expression pedal that's one block gone, Compressor is another block, SEND/RETURN FX loop is one, or possibly two more blocks depending on the use. Then after the return, a Delay, Reverb and Looper block. Now you have used at least six blocks, without even mentioning an Amp and Cab, block which would only leave space for one, not several, Drives. Hmm... that's the down side to having limited block options, but a few folks have come up with a few workarounds for using a n expression pedal to switch between a Vol and Wah effect, or even save a Volume block by mapping an Exp to the Amps channel volume.

One other thing to remember is, the HX Looper was not really designed to be a full on performance looper, but if you can work with the limitations of a 60 second Mono, one switch looper fine. Personally i have a whole bunch of separate, external looper options.

This guy has a couple of tricks for using a Dunlop X Mini Volume and Expression Pedal with the HX Stomp.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm not understanding how the blocks work...

So as far as other pedals go, I have a standalone compressor, tuner, 3 drives, a delay and reverb.  

Will I still need to use the blocks to accommodate them as well or just for the effects loop and expression pedal?

And I probably wont need the amp and cab.  I primarily will be using the Stomp as a pedal for some effects I don't have, its effects loop, and hopefully looper.

You just need the FX Loop block in the preset for all external stomps. You don't need a block for the external expression pedal;' it just needs to be connected and defined in the POD's Global Settings.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 8:07 PM, philthethrill21 said:

And I probably wont need the amp and cab.  I primarily will be using the Stomp as a pedal for some effects I don't have, its effects loop, and hopefully looper.

Yeah, that should just work if you are using just it as a box of extra FX in a regular pedal board setup. Then just assign a block for whatever effect you want to use in the HXS, for example, pitch shift, chorus, glitch delay, shimmer verb, looper, whatever. You can use the FX Loop option for your other external time based hardware units.

Have fun! 

• Like 1