Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Aux In Config

joeallen0910

Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area. I am very new to this forum and the equipment. I have been reading a lot, learning a lot and there are many experts in here.

I have a newbie question.

I just came back from my over seas tour (Air Force) and couldn't get to guitar center fast enough to get my Helix. WOW!!

This will make life so much easier on my deployments as I try to pass time.

My question is I am trying to configure the following:

MacBook Pro (USB-C) to the Aux In (1/4")

Guitar to the Guitar In

I am listening via Headphone. This will be especially common on my deployments.

My MacBook will be playing my favorite music via Spotify and I would love to play along and hear Spotify and myself via the headphone output.

Will this work? Is it a simple configuration change so I can hear Spotify via Aux In and Guitar via Guitar In with output via Headphone?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Please have a wonderful day.

You don’t need to connect the MacBook to the Helix Aux input. Rather, connect  Helix via USB to your MacBook using a usb adapter if necessary. Then, if it doesn’t happen automatically, assign your Helix as the MacBook’s audio input/output device. You will need to connect your speakers or headphones to the Helix outputs. You will then have high quality audio blending your guitar playing with your MacBook audio output such as Spotify. Balance the levels using your MacBook audio controls.

• Upvote 1

Silverhead,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did exactly that and the volume produced by the USB input is overwhelming. I am listening via headphone jack and the audio overpowers the guitar. Is there a way to reduce ONLY the volume of the MacBook in the Helix (globally)?

I thank you for your input and the entire community's assistance. You all have been welcoming and helpful. As I get ready for my next deployment, this assistance helps take a load off my mind.

Can anyone suggest a good reference where users are posting their individual settings in order to create a specific tone? For example, recommended config for an acoustic sound or generating a 12-string sound or EVH tones? I know I can purchase packs to install but, on an airman's, pay, I am lucky if I can afford a soda a times.

I bow before the wise and wonderful people in this community.

On 5/30/2024 at 4:12 PM, joeallen0910 said:

Silverhead,

Is there a way to reduce ONLY the volume of the MacBook in the Helix (globally)?

There are two ways:

- adjust the volume in your MacBook audio settings.

- adjust the USB Trim in the Helix Global Settings > Inputs/ Oitputs

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2024 at 11:54 AM, CarolynWhitlow said:

Any update?

Huh?

Any update to what exactly?

If you want to jam along to Spotify, iTunes etc, simply connect your Helix to your computer via USB. The select Helix as your default Audio Interface In/Out on your computer. Connect your guitar and phones to Helix - done! It has been that way since day one, back in 2015.

QUOTE: Helix Owner’s Manual > Page 68 > USB Audio

”With the Helix default “Multi” Input and Output block settings in use, you’ll automatically hear audio software playback on USB 1/2 routed directly to the Helix XLR, 1/4" and Phones outputs. This lets you jam along with YouTube, iTunes, or your DAW tracks without hearing them through a bunch of amps and effects.”

Link:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a00050b287e6643b71cda93a/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - English .pdf

Hope this helps/makes sense.