Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Microswitchs are failing one after another

sebabetto

Hi! I'm owner of a Pod Go device since the first release, 4 year ago.

Never had a problem. All updates installed, but since a year ago the microswitchs are failing. One technician cleaned them all by open each one and do maintenance, but it's getting to a point where the only solution is to replace them.

Anyone had this problem?

I'm thinking of getting a HX Stomp, anye one knows if the HX Stomp (or the HX Stomp XL) has the same problem?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, welcome to the club. Line 6 uses garbage microswitches.  Helix microswitches are garbage as well.  But I suspect Pod Go microswitches are even worse.  Either way, yes, yes yes, it's maddening and inexcusable.  It sucks, because I already got used to the workflow and love the sounds I'm getting out of Line 6 gear.  But in my experience, cleaning/lubricating the switches is the way to go, and on my 3 products that I own, everything is functional. 

In my research, the only processor that uses something more reliable is the Fractal FM9.  It uses contactless switching, also known as SSS. I have no idea what the heck that means, but all pros uses Fractal stuff and swear by it.  Otherwise, every single brand out whose name is not Fractal uses the same garbage Chinese microscopic microswitches that you can buy a bag of 200 for for 5 dollars.  This garbage technology is nothing new, it has been in use in the last 20 years at least.  Anecdotally, I also know for a fact that Kemper Floor users suffer from the same exact issues.  So there you have it.  

Anyway... Follow my procedure:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/23/2024 at 2:51 PM, theElevators said:

Yes, welcome to the club. Line 6 uses garbage microswitches.  Helix microswitches are garbage as well.  But I suspect Pod Go microswitches are even worse.  Either way, yes, yes yes, it's maddening and inexcusable.  It sucks, because I already got used to the workflow and love the sounds I'm getting out of Line 6 gear.  But in my experience, cleaning/lubricating the switches is the way to go, and on my 3 products that I own, everything is functional. 

In my research, the only processor that uses something more reliable is the Fractal FM9.  It uses contactless switching, also known as SSS. I have no idea what the heck that means, but all pros uses Fractal stuff and swear by it.  Otherwise, every single brand out whose name is not Fractal uses the same garbage Chinese microscopic microswitches that you can buy a bag of 200 for for 5 dollars.  This garbage technology is nothing new, it has been in use in the last 20 years at least.  Anecdotally, I also know for a fact that Kemper Floor users suffer from the same exact issues.  So there you have it.  

Anyway... Follow my procedure:

Thanks for the reply! Interesting info.

FWIW, from the Fractal FM3 manual (I have one as well as an FM9T): "Footswitches — The switches of the FM3 use our proprietary Solid State Switching (SSS™) technology, 
featuring extremely smooth, quiet, action, and no mechanical contacts to fail." 

I assume they use some forms of Hall effect sensing to eliminate mechanical contacts. I've been using my FM3 for 2 years and no issues. I do have a Pod Go and gigged it for more than a year with no issues. Then I bought the FM3...