Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Valve mk2 112 problem


Pusztasilaci
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

 

I would like to kindly ask for help / useful advices regarding the following problem:

 

The clean channel of my Spider Valve mk2 112 type amplifier is making distortions regardless its volume. I have already changed the tubes, so there are completely new tubes inside, and resoldered and cleaned the sockets as well. The the gain meter is in a low position too. The bias has already been settled as well. It is of course not an operating issue. If the guitar is directly connected (power amp in) to the back of the amp, this phenomenon never happens.  

 

Thank you very much for your help in advance. 

 

Have a nice day, 

 

Leslie 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check the retainer nuts under the knobs, make certain they snug and tight (not too tight) as they keep the potentiometer

casings snug against the chassis which is the chassis ground.

 

If it is a grainy and crackling distortion, I would suspect intermittent solder points on the processor board, around the processor

circuitry and the clock circuitry. Have a Line 6 authorized service center deal with that. 

 

Shock Hazard: Keep your fingers out of the insides of a tube amp, as the 200V capacitors can discharge into you. Hurts like hell and is a shock hazard. 

I have 50+ years of experience with tube amps, I still get zapped from time to time. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Hello P Sarkissian

 

Not sure if the is the right place to post/ask this, but figured you could point me in the right direction of not.

 

I have a Spider Valve 112 (Bogner) amp that’s always had that fun/classic “intermittent crackling/loud noise” problem.

 

I’m lucky to live near a highly qualified repairman in Simi Valley, who’s worked on every amp there is over his 50-odd year career. Without the specs, since he isn’t a Line 6 guy, he carefully put the amp through his own very thorough testing & diagnostics, from the master pot through new (per your own specs I supplied to him) new 12AX7s, and more – but was unable to fix it.

 

I think the place for me to start with Line 6, is now a dropoff at Instrumental Music in Thousand Oaks? Or maybe that’s changed.

 

It’s a really wonderful amp, and I hate to part with it – but it’s way too loud for what I need (and very heavy), and my Catalyst CX60, while falling a little short of the true tube sound, does just fine. So I’d love to have the Valve amp be sellable with confidence (a clean bill of health directly from Line 6) – to someone who can really use and appreciate it.

 

The dollars in play are the question. Physically it’s in near-new condition, and it looks like resale value might by $350 - $500. But if I need to spend close to that to fix it, of course that wouldn’t make sense. (and maybe this is a dumb idea, but I could pass along the results of my guy’s testing, that might help Line 6 to get to the root of it more quickly).

 

If you could advise me re: what you feel is my best course of action at this point, I’d really appreciate it.

 

Thanks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...