Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX100 FX Loop - How To Configure

Punkster

You can plug your guitar into your amp.

Run the effects send to the guitar in of the FX100.

Run the FX100's main out or outs (depending on if you amp,s loop is stereo) to the amps effects return.

This method uses your amps preamp.

Or you can plug you guitar into the FX100's guitar in and run the FX100 main out(s) to the amp's effects return.

This method bypasses your amp's preamp.

You can plug your guitar into your amp.

Run the effects send to the guitar in of the FX100.

Run the FX100's main out or outs (depending on if you amp,s loop is stereo) to the amps effects return.

This method uses your amps preamp.

Or you can plug you guitar into the FX100's guitar in and run the FX100 main out(s) to the amp's effects return.

This method bypasses your amp's preamp.

Hi

Thanks Expert. Tried the 2nd option as  I wanted a pure mode as I can hear from the FX100 direct to PA. Thought it wasn't going to work but the volume level on the Amplifi was very low so just had to turn that up to 50% and the amp growled away.

I am sure the other option will be fine as well but easier to set the tone up through my home studio and then just use the amp for the extra kick.

Are both safe to use with Tube amps?

Thanks

P

I've been using the "guitar to FX100 > main out (left) to effects return" setup.

I'll try the "guitar to amp > effects send to the FX100 guitar input > main out to effects return" and see how that works.

Would you know if one method might be considered safer than the other for my tube amp?

One advantage of the first method is one less cord.

Question: is there a setting on the FX100 to allow "clean throughput"?

In other words, all effects turned off, allowing the amp to work as if the pedal was not plugged in at all.

(This would be used with the second of the two setups above).

Punster,

Both methods are very typical and should be fine with any guitar amp with an effects loop.

John61524,

Currently there is no bypass option per se, but you can engage the tuner.

Also, you can have an empty patch. Presets 25 A thru D start out blank.

Triryche

"Currently there is no bypass option per se, but you can engage the tuner.

Also, you can have an empty patch. Presets 25 A thru D start out blank."

So if a blank preset is used it is essentially a bypass?

Or would it be a different signal than plugging directly into the amp?

To the best of my knowledge, it is not a true bypass.

Meaning the unaltered guitar signal is not passed directly to the analog outs.

It is likely hitting an A/D conversion, no effects applied, then hitting a D/A conversion.

Punster,

Both methods are very typical and should be fine with any guitar amp with an effects loop.

John61524,

Currently there is no bypass option per se, but you can engage the tuner.

Also, you can have an empty patch. Presets 25 A thru D start out blank.

Couldn't you also put your guitar on an A/B box with one  plug going directly into the FX100 using the FX loop and one going into the front of the amp? Would this work?

I am actually using the effects on my Spider Valve 112 plus the effects in the FX100 to get additional layering like doubling up the delay, adding in a tremolo with the flanger to get some really thick sounds. I even do some amp switching on the SV just to get fatter sounds. Haven't tried to do any of the amp switching playing live and have only gigged twice with the FX100 so still trying to figure out how to hit the foot switches at the right times and orders. Have been writing it all out first for now. Can't do live with the iPhone. Looks dumb to do that onstage.

• 1 year later...

Old thread but just in case anyone is working with a Flextone III + an FX100 or a Behringer Keyboard amp.

I was unable to get sound with Uber Guru's 2nd method until I put an unwired adapter plug in my Fextone.

A great feature of using the Behringer Keyboard (KX1200 - 3 way with 15" woofer) was that the loop (1st method only for the Behringer) permits me to use the one FX100 with another guitarist (or two). I can also change the mix of effects on the Behringer to have a totally clean sound (which is pretty good on that amp IMHO). The sound when looped was not as good on the Behringer as going direct, guitar -> FX100 amp out (not main) -> Behringer, I really like that sound chain the best.

The sound with method 2 through the Flextone was good, but for sound quality I preferred method 1 with my four amp channels set to different amp models on the Flextone (all with drive dialed back)- I get interesting different flavors of my FX100 this way.