Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hd500 x Headphone tone verses XLR out tone (LIVE)

mattjohns99

Hello, I am a new user and have noticed something disturbing to me in the difference between the BIG, LUSH tone that comes out of my headphone jack and then the lifeless, digital, limp tone that I hear coming from either my studio or Live floor monitors or when hooked to a mixing board and out to FOH speakers.

I have all pro gear.   My studio is ProTools, run by a MacPro (the tower unit), a Black Lion Audio modified M-Box Pro interface going out to M-Box studio monitors.  PA is Behringer X-32 board with active FOH speakers.  My triple driver IEM's are Westone LMpro30's.  I use quality Carvin and PRS guitars with passive pup's.

My IEM's sound amazing either using them direct to the headphone jack of the  hd500x, or out of the monitor mix out of the X-32.    

I create my own tones, I have downloaded other user tones off of the "Customtone" area of this website.  They all sound great in my IEMS.

What I am concerned about is the tone going to FOH (the audience).   Why such a big difference?  The gain structures sound so different, the warmth is gone as it sounds really digital sounding (think old Digitech pedal early technology) and cold, the effects response is so different to.

I would think there should be constancy from my IEM to at least my Protools studio.  I think I would be embarrassed to have that tone I am hearing from what is coming out of the XLR's output.

Any ideas how a guy can find a good balance between the two?   I just cant get over the difference in sound.

Maybe there are so I/O's that need adjusting ?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

I had the same issue. How is your stereo mix setup? Are you running your tones strictly mono?

I found the headphone mix sounded great, as well as when output via Sp/DIF. I was using a lot of dual amp tones.

When sending out to an amp and using the internal mixer in the POD to blend the two, it sounded awful. I added a small behringer mono mixer to my setup, sending both L/R from the pod to the mixer then a mono signal from the mixer to the power amp, and it matched the tone's coming from the headphone out or digital out.

Matt,

I use a PRS with passive PUs and a HD500 going direct to FOH and it sounds great. I tend to create / tweak my patches not using headphones. Headphones change the stereo landscape a bit, also depending on your speakers versus headphones the frequency response could be radically different. What kind of music?

I played through an X32 with QSC active monitors / subs etc and it rocked! I was pretty flat with the EQ on the X32 board.

If you post a custom tone I'll try it out and see how it sounds with my setup. Maybe something might show up.

good luck,

Rick