Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

can you connect PODHD500X direct to speaker cabinet without amp?

nmont01

sorry for stupid questions, but this is all new to me. I don't want to pay for a real combo amp or amp/cab if i only intend or care to hear sounds from the POD's amp modelers. Can i connect the pos direct to a 1x12 speaker cabinet or does the speaker cabinet itself require an external amp to function?

the POD has no amplification internally so you must use an amplifier to drive a speaker cab.  You could also use active monitors with built in amps, a small stereo power amp, a guitar amp but one way or another you have to amplify the signal.

You do not need an amp if you just use headphones...

that depends on your goals. If you just want to jam in the studio, plenty of guys use good studio monitors and love them.  If you want to play out you should get something more robust like active monitors.  So many choices, depends on what you want to do and your budget...