Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X XLR Output

joepetrucci85

Hello! I got an Alto TS115A and was wondering if the ideal way to connect the HD500 to it is by using an XLR cable (left) going into one of the Alto's input? Is it okay having nothing on the right XLR output of the HD500x or is it better to get another XLR cable the hook that up as well? Sorry for the newbish question, but it's the first time for megoing this route. It might also be worth mentioning that my patches are having the mixer panned the left channel to center, and the right channel muted. Thanks!

Thanks. I've also noticed that the XLR output seems a lot quieter compared to the 1/4" output going to my 2x12 amp. I was expecting to get more volume out of the powered speaker, but I guess I made a wrong assumption?

XLR is a mic level signal while the 1/4 outs are line level.  XLR is designed to go straight to the board, it is a lower level signal than the 1/4 outs.

Thank you so much for that info! :-) So, is it okay to use the 1/4" output into the Alto or would that technically be incorrect?

Use the left 1/4 out as it is a line level signal and also sums both left and right to mono so you don't have to whack up your patches.  On the Alto, check the volume knobs.  The left side (6-12 oclock) is for line level inputs and the right side (12-6 oclock) is for mic level inputs.

http://www.altoproaudio.com/images/products/Truesonic_connectors_lrg.jpg