These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Recording with the HD500 via USB in Garageband
by aws1126 on 2010-10-18 19:01:48

Hey all, I'm trying to record some stuff with my new HD500 via the USB into my MacBook Pro (unibody) running Garageband. For some reason, I am not able to get hardly any volume at all when recording. Here is everything I'm doing, to try and help anyone who's trying to help me troubleshoot:

-In system preferences AND in Garageband, the HD500 is set up as my device for sound input, and input volume is up all the way in system preferences, but still I am not picking much of anything up on the input level monitor in system preferences and in the input monitor in garageband. there is SOME coming through, but very very little. I basically have to crank my sound all the way up to hear it very faintly.

-everything is up to date according to line 6 monkey (drivers, flash memory, HD edit program, L6 monkey itself)

-guitar volume is all the way up

-master volume on the HD500 is all the way up, along with the volume of the amp on that preset

-volume pedal all the way in the toe down position

-output mode- studio/direct

-S/PDIF output- matched outputs, s/p level- +12 dB, sample rate: 44.1 KHZ

- guitar IN switch next to expression pedal is set to normal

- not sure if it matters but XLR is set to Ground, and 1/4" out is set to Line

-my rigs are all pretty much set up with the combo version of the amp with the cab and mic models on

What am I doing wrong here? I'm sure it must just be one stupid little setting I need to change...help please! anything is appreciated!!

Re: Recording with the HD500 via USB in Garageband
by aws1126 on 2010-10-20 10:40:22

anyone?

RE: Recording with the HD500 via USB in Garageband
by Kneehow on 2010-10-20 15:14:49

Hi,

I only had access to an older MacBook (white) with Leopard OSX installed and an older version of GarageBand, but here's what I found/did.

Latest drivers for the POD HD500 installed, POD HD500 Edit installed, Monkey 1.34.

I didn't mess with any settings on the HD500 (which has 1.10 firmware installed, by the way). Selected patch #1C: Pitch Slap. In Mac OSX System Preferences/Sounds/Input I visually verified that a healthy audio input signal corresponded to guitar input events- OK. The levels never really peaked beyond 2/3's of the bar meters.

In GarageBand, I went to Preferences/Audio MIDI and made sure Audio Input was set to POD HD500, Output set to Built-In.

I created a New (Real Instrument) track. Recorded an idea. Played back with full volume present. Made a second audio track and did an overdub. The signal of the mix output was full.

That's all I did. Can you try to repro that and confirm that you didn't get similar results?

Regards,

L6Perry

Re: RE: Recording with the HD500 via USB in Garageband
by aws1126 on 2010-10-20 15:19:24

Hey Perry,

Thanks so much for taking the time to check this out and give me a hand! I'll try that out and report back with the results! Take care,

Andrew

Re: RE: Recording with the HD500 via USB in Garageband
by tboaz on 2010-10-22 15:02:38

I'm having similar issues.  The volume level only peaks at around 33%, even with the Drive and Volume knobs all the way up on the pedal.  If you want less drive level than 100%, you are screwed, because there isn't enough signal to work with.  I have the Channel 1 and 2 volumes all the way up in the Audio MIDI setup window under Line 6 Audio MIDI Devices in System Preferences.  With those levels, I should be clipping the meters.  I'm using GarageBand '08 on a MacBook Pro, with the latest firmware update for HD500.

I just re-calibrated the expression pedal to make sure it was at 100% volume, and it made no difference.

Any ideas?

by dhstone on 2010-11-13 10:52:09

I am having this same problem. I'm running direct USB into Garageband '09 v 5.1 on OSX 10.6.5. I created a new blank song file and added a real instrument track using the stereo 1/2 inputs from the HD500. In Garageband I have the recording level slider maxed out, but the best signal I can get is only about 25-35% on the little track level meter.

I suspect that something is going on with the USB driver because when I checked the settings in the Audio Devices control (accessed from the Line6 Audio-Midi Devices widget in the System Preferences), the levels are maxed at +18db. I tried changing them (lower was the only way to go) and it has no effect in the signal level GB is seeing.

This signal is so anemic that it's just about unusable - it is definitely unusable if I'm trying to record a clean tone with very little amp drive.

I'm going to try reinstalling the USB driver w/ Monkey and see if that helps.

Macs aren't supposed to have these kinds of problems. ;-)

by bbenham on 2010-11-13 12:22:39

I'm having the same problem with it being a weak signal.  As a workaround for now I'm just upping the levels in the Mixer in each POD patch.  Just using the mixer to boost the signals I can go from that 30% signal to full clipping.  Funny thing is it doesn't seem to clip at the track meter level, but rather looking at the main GB level at the bottom of the screen.

Give the mixer a whirl.  I think it will get you by for the moment.  It is odd however to have to almost max out the levels in the mixer to get a usable signal strength.  I seem to remember in the X3 bean that I used to have that gearbox and pod farm both had input/output level control knobs.  Maybe something like this in a future patch?

Also, for fun, any of you GB people tried GarageRemote yet?  Would be interested in feedback if you have.

by Lespaulidas on 2010-11-15 12:15:06

I have the weak signal problem in garage band as well with the HD500 usb direct connect.  I had already tried perry reccomendations with no result.  The signal is still weak (barley measures on the visual indicator in garage band).  Hopefully there's a fix for this.

by cGil on 2010-11-15 18:39:44

Still using GB'08, with OSX 10.6.5

At first look, I agree the track level from the HD500 does look a bit anemic.   With clean patches like the stock Best OF HD's  "BF Double" or "Blackface 'Lux" patches, it does seem a bit low on the track meter.  Say, around 20%.  FX Heavy patches like the previously mentioned Pitch Slap kicked the track meter upwards of 30%.

Oddly enough, those same anemic looking default levels of the tracks I layed down mixed perfectly with the jamalong bass, drum, and guitar practice tracks from Guitar Lesson 1 that I loaded as standard reference.

Ideally, I would rather have a good hot (but not clipping) track level during recording to maintain a proper signal to noise ratio and all that.  And then lower that track level for proper mixing with the other tracks.   But this is Garage Band, not Logic; so I suppose I should expect a bit of dumbed down silliness like this or maybe find other ways to work around it.  Like using an outboard mixer, or maybe a tube preamp to give it a little more "air" in the noise! 

Gil...

by misterax on 2010-11-30 18:21:29

i have same problem in Logic 9 on MacBookPro (Snow Leo)

does anybody from Line6  can help Us ????

by hoodcreeper on 2010-11-30 18:41:23

I just posted something similar as I have this same problem.  Not only with garageband but with an mbox and pro tools as well.  Seems like there are quite a few of us with this problem.  Shouldnt have to max everything out to get a usable signal.  What is wrong?!!  Will someone from LINE 6 acknowledge this please.  This unit is dangerously close to coming back to you.

by misterax on 2010-12-01 04:42:56

knock, knock, knock

Line6, PLEASE  help us !!!!

people of the world  are waitnig for u !!!

by bbenham on 2010-12-01 05:59:54

misterax wrote:

knock, knock, knock

Line6, PLEASE  help us !!!!

people of the world  are waitnig for u !!!

You may want to start another thread and mark it as a question on the submit form by checking the box.  This ticket is old enough that it is marked assumed answered so I don't believe Line 6 is monitoring it anymore.

by misterax on 2010-12-01 06:13:12

thanks for info !

but i see you have a same problem! did you fix that?

by bbenham on 2010-12-01 06:52:04

I've upped the levels a little bit in the signal chain and the recordings sound fine.  The Track meter in GarageBand still shows that the signal is low, but the recordings come through clear.

Just as an FYI, I see similar when using Reaper instead of Garageband.  I don't have access to Logic atm, but I suspect that the problem may be with the POD's Mac driver.  I haven't noticed a lot of reported issues with low volume on the Windows side.  Since it happens in GarageBand, Reaper, and since you saw it in Logic, it would seem to make sense that the issue is in the driver.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.