These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 + Microphone
by dftpunk on 2010-10-30 03:17:47

Guys I have another questions to you:

POD HD500 has a microphone input and I know that I can connect mic via this input and control effect "talkbox" effect, right?

Here's first question: can I setup talkbox the way like vocoder so my voice will be like in songs of Kayne West? Do you know some videos on youtube concerning "talkbox" in POD HD500? Does talkbox the only effect which could be controlled by the mic?

Here's another question: Can I sing through POD HD500's amps/effects using mic input? Can I sing and play guitar simultaneously or such feature available for X3 only? Can i separate outputs and got vocal from XLR output and guitar through 1/4" output?

Thank you in advance!

Re: POD HD500 + Microphone
by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-30 03:25:13

Hi

The HD500 does indeed have a mic input.

The HD500 currently includes amongst its effects a Vocoder so you're in luck

You can certainly use the mic input with any of the FULL or PRE amp models and any of the FX as part of a single or dual signal path setup and so send the vocal out of one output and the guitar through another although currently the XLR outputs mirror the 1/4" outputs - panning L an d R will separate the signals though.  I hope that more output options will become available at some point in the near future.  The HD500 does not include any vocal specific amp or preamp models currently, but this is not really an issue as you can use no amp model if you wish and get a good sound using EQ and FX or you can use one of the 'clean' guitar pre-amp models and it will sound good.  Many of us are hoping that moreamp models will become available in some way in the future

Nick

by dftpunk on 2010-10-30 05:06:08

Hi Nick! Thank you for your response!

Panning is a workaround...but i can't understand one thing... For example:

Using the dual tone I can set up vocal effect at the A parallel path and the guitar effect at the B parallel path, then pan A to the left output and B to the right output to separate vocal and guitar. But how to define that vocal should go to the A and guitar should go to the B as there's no Stereo Inputs in POD HD?

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-30 05:10:30

In the System Setup pages you can choose what goes in to input A and input B on a per preset basis, so you choose input A as Guitar, Mic, Aux, Variax etc... or combinations so you can have for instance Guitar, Aux and Variax all assigned to Input A, whilst you can have Input be assigned to Same, or the elements of the previous list, so in your situation you's assign Input A to Mic and Input B to Guitar using your example.

Nick

by dftpunk on 2010-10-31 05:17:00

Thanks a lot!!!

Does line6 have some videos which shows how POD HD500's vocoder(or M13's) works?

by dftpunk on 2010-10-31 05:37:01

By the way Nick you wrote:

"The HD500 currently includes amongst its effects a Vocoder so you're in luck "

but i don't see vocoder among all the POD HD500's effects. I see Voice Box - but it's the same effect as in FM4 stombox and what i mean by vocoder is Vocoder from POD X3 2.0 which is controlled by microphone. Would line6 provide us such effect for POD HD500 as it has mic input?

by phil_m on 2010-10-31 06:12:44

There is definitely a vocoder effect.  It's under the filter section.  It's not shown on the product page, though.

Also, regarding your original question - I don't think Kanye West is using a vocoder to do what he does.  I'm pretty sure it's using Auto Tune as an effect by setting it to some extreme settings.  You might be able to some similar type sounds with the vocoder, though.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2010-10-31 06:28:23

+1 to Phil

The Vocoder effect is definitely in the HD500

Nick

by dftpunk on 2010-10-31 11:44:26

Phil, Nick thanks for the info! I've worried because this wasn't mentioned on the POD HD's effects page .

by Brion_Kean on 2010-11-01 16:35:49

Vocoder is a sort of "manual" user-entry auto-tune? Meaning, the words / expressions that you say or sing, are set in pitch by what you play on the guitar. But yes, I think the sound Kanye / T-Pain / Cher, and many others have used to effect is Auto-Tune; Antares plugin is alot of fun.

Interesting though, with the vocoder: if you play a chord, does it run your voice into the multiple notes of the chord, or can it do note recognition and shift to nearest correct note (as defined by the guitar or other input - keyboard perhaps?)

by phil_m on 2010-11-01 17:15:35

Autotune kind of works on the same principle as a vocoder.  You have a carrier signal and a formant, and the idea is to let the carrier control the pitch of the formant, roughly speaking.  Autotune sort of does this, but it's a lot more involved.

by Ignacio108 on 2011-06-06 11:33:14

Hi Nick, I come from the x3 live; whict that model I could separate assign effects to the guitar on tone 1 and to the voice (mic) in tone 2.

With the HD500 I just learned how to make two separate threads but, panning the guitar and the mic at the center, but I get the delay from the guitar thread interfereing with the mic. I´d like the mixer to be at the very begining.

I don´t know how to separate the effects.

If you could help me...

let´s say we want:

comp for both

delay, modulation and eq for guitar

delay and eq for voice

general reverb

I don´t need amp, I use accoustic guitar

im in a hurry i´ve a gig coming up soon

thanks a lot

Ignacio.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-06-06 16:34:04

Ignacio108 wrote:

Hi Nick, I come from the x3 live; whict that model I could separate assign effects to the guitar on tone 1 and to the voice (mic) in tone 2.

With the HD500 I just learned how to make two separate threads but, panning the guitar and the mic at the center, but I get the delay from the guitar thread interfereing with the mic. I´d like the mixer to be at the very begining.

I don´t know how to separate the effects.

If you could help me...

let´s say we want:

comp for both

delay, modulation and eq for guitar

delay and eq for voice

general reverb

I don´t need amp, I use accoustic guitar

im in a hurry i´ve a gig coming up soon

thanks a lot

Ignacio.

If you like, post your attempt at doing what you want here and I'll try and have a look at it to see if I can correct the error.  I suspect you may be experiencing an effect summing both signal paths to mono - not all FX are true stereo.

Nick

by Ignacio108 on 2011-06-06 17:35:53

Hi Nick, thanks a lot for your reply.

Below are the threads

Both amps are disabled (it´s an acoustic guitar on A path and a shure sm58 on B path)

When the stereo delay on A is on it affects the voice.

I´d like just a little delay on the voice and some volume control, delay on the guitar, and a general reverb

comp + overdrive (from here on it splits) A) + volume pedal + sterero delay + amp (disabled) Mixer (panned center)  + reverb (plate)

B) + eq + delay                                                    Mixer (panned center)

by Ignacio108 on 2011-06-07 17:13:37

Hi Nick, thanks a lot for your reply.

Below are the threads

Both amps are disabled (it´s an acoustic guitar on A path and a shure sm58 on B path)

I´d like just a little delay on the voice and some volume control, delay on the guitar, and a general reverb

comp + overdrive (from here on it splits) A) + volume pedal + sterero delay + amp (disabled) Mixer (panned center)  + reverb (plate)

B) + eq + delay                                                    Mixer (panned center)

by Ignacio108 on 2011-06-07 17:14:42

Hi

Below are the threads

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.