These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Hooking up the POD HD 500 to Spider III 75 watt amp?
by SpawnSC on 2011-05-16 16:39:33

I was wondering if its possible to hook up the HD 500 up to my Spider III amp so that the sound comes out from the HD to the Spider III's speaker? if so how can I do this?

Re: Hooking up the POD HD 500 to Spider III 75 watt amp?
by gregr on 2011-05-16 16:58:48

I'd try running it into the CD/MP3 jack first (using the proper adapter) with the HD500 configured in either Combo Power Amp mode or possibly Studio/Direct mode, but that's me.

Your other option is to use Combo Front mode and go into the Input jack with the amp set to Clean Red with all the tone knobs at 12 o'clock and the drive knob somewhere below 12 o'clock and work from there, tweaking until you get something you like.

by Nick_Mattocks on 2011-05-16 17:02:25

I don't know if this trick works on the Spider III as I haven't tried it, but for the Spider IV and Spider Valve MkII if you hold down the Tap button as you power on it puts the amp in test mode which bypasses all the DSP stuff and you can then feed the HD500 output into the front of the amp and treat it as you would a power amp.  I had reasonable success setting the HD500 output mode to Combo Pwr Amp as I recall with the Spider IV 150.  if that trick doesn't work, you can make up a special cable or use a 1/4" to 1/8" jack plug adapter and you can use the CD/MP3 Input (but the Spider III will still need a dummy jack plug into the normal front input to activate the CD input).

Nick

by Bluestone on 2011-05-16 17:14:06

HI

I've used the HD 500 with a couple of my Spider 3's....

I use the "old school" method of setting my amp up as clean...no FX..no verbs...EQ's set flat.....

Let the HD take complete control.....for all the parameters......and

Turn it up!

OM

by SpawnSC on 2011-05-17 03:43:47

when i hold down the tap button when powering on the amp with just the guitar plugged in i get a nice clean sound but when i plug in my pod hd500 from the 1/4" out (L and R) to the guitar in of the spider III amp i get a lot of cracking and interference noise. I did set it to power amp on the 500 did I do something wrong?

by gregr on 2011-05-17 10:06:22

L and R?  I don't know how you're going about sending both of these into what I assume is a mono input.  Regardless, don't do that!  Use only one of the 1/4" outs and connect it to the input of your amp with a regular instrument (guitar) cable.

Also, make sure 1/4" OUT switch is set to "AMP" and to turn the master volume all the way down first.  Combo or Stack Power Amp is how you want the mode set (if there is any difference between the two, I would love to know what).

by SpawnSC on 2011-05-17 17:03:33

thanks for the help.  I figured it out, you can't have the usb cable plugged in while having it hooked up to the spider III amp because it was cause the hissing noise.

Re: RE: Hooking up the POD HD 500 to Spider III 75 watt amp?
by Kneehow on 2011-05-23 09:24:14

Glad to hear that you were able to figure it out.

I doubt anyone would've guessed that you had the USB connection to the HD500, but now that it's been mentioned, the "noise" issue makes sense.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.