These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Using Pod HD 500 as an audio interface and controling it with midi
by raz_klinghoffer on 2012-09-06 13:24:13

Hey everyone

This post might sound weird to some, but I got stock without my band's audio interface, and need  to set my sequencer to control my Pod HD 500 for a show so it will change the effects on the POD HD500

So my question is, can I use the Pod HD 500 as an audio interface, connect the midi out to the midi in, and program my sequencer to control the effect on the POD?

Thanks

Re: Using Pod HD 500 as an audio interface and controling it with midi
by mazuwa on 2012-09-06 23:56:07

1.) You can use HD 500 as an audio card over USB. You must have the midi driver installed (and selected inside your music software).

2. (copied from Jim)

Appendix B to the Advanced User Guide for the Pod HD500 contains confirmation of the Midi capabilities of the POD.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/podhd500

The section 'Controlling POD HD500 Functions via MIDI'.

---------------------------

(continued by mazuwa)

What you can control from a PC to your HD500 over MIDI is (concerning receiving parameters):

- EXP pedal + toe switch functions. This enables you to change values concerning supported and assigned fx parameters like wah / volume pedal.

- Turning effects on/off as assigned inside the presets

- Looper

- Tap tempo

- Tuner on/off

- Bank & Program changes

What you cannot control is changing effects, like fx1= compressor to fx1= chorus. In this case you should change the preset.

Don't forget to configure the HD 500 MIDI channel on SETUP page. Standard channel is 1.

Ps.: You can also make your HD 500 sending MIDI commands, so you only need to record them into your sequencer instead of programming. To do this you must assign the pod's MIDI assign page.

Ps.: If you have connected several devices like amp - HD500 - pc, some people have problems with ground loops. In this case it might help to have an accu powered notebook , or you should think about device solutions with ground lift functions. I don't want to make you afraid, just try and listen of this is the case.

by raz_klinghoffer on 2012-09-07 00:09:44

Thanks

I know that I can use Pod HD as an audio interface and I know I can control him with midi

My question is can I do both at the same time?

And if so, should I connect a cable from midi in to midi out to send him the midi from the sequencer?

by mazuwa on 2012-09-07 02:42:01

Oooh,

yes, of course you can do both at the same time, for audio is seperated from MIDI.

Connections from HD500 to your PC over USB (for audio or HD EDIT) should be clear. I only want to say NOT to use an usb hub!

For connections over MIDI you must use a USB to MIDI converter. I use for example a MIDITECH MIDIFACE http://www.miditech.de/site.php4?site_id=143">http://www.miditech.de/site.php4?site_id=143">http://www.miditech.de/site.php4?site_id=143

So all in all, you need 2 free USB ports.

The USB to MIDI converter box usually is connected from MIDI OUT (box) to MIDI IN (POD HD 500). This is enough to send MIDI data to your POD.

If you want to receive MIDI data from your POD and send them to your sequencer, e.g. for recording MIDI, you can also connect the second cable from MIDI IN (box) to MIDI OUT (HD 500).

What you want to know: The sequencer makes seperate configurations for AUDIO and MIDI.

- AUDIO is configured over ASIO driver.

- MIDI is configured over MIDI devices.

No problem to have them at the same time active.

What you cannot do is to have several ASIO drivers for AUDIO from different audio cards active.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-09-07 03:13:20

No reason that you cannot do both.  The Audio Interface and the Midi interface are completely separate (there is no Midi information passed over USB on the HD500).

by raz_klinghoffer on 2012-09-07 05:55:34

Awesome

So connecting midi out to midi in is fine?

by raz_klinghoffer on 2012-09-07 12:14:48

Anyone can confirm that I can control POD HD500 midi by plugin midi in ti midi out?

by fledisma on 2012-09-07 15:51:51

It really depends on the plugin that you are using.  The plugin needs to be able to send out MIDI messages to the computer MIDI interface connected to the HD500 and  the plugin can be configured to send MIDI messages that HD500 can recognize (see reply above).  Hope this helps!

by raz_klinghoffer on 2012-09-07 16:07:12

Thanks

I want to use Cubase, and want it to control the POD HD500

it's not about the plugin really, it's about the way POD HD can understand that the midi out is used as an audio device, and midi in as the POD effect board

by fledisma on 2012-09-07 19:16:03

To accomplish what you're trying to do, you need to do the following:

1. HD500 as audio device in Cubase

- Connect HD500 to your computer using USB cable

- In Cubase, set the audio device to HD500

2. Cubase controls HD500

- Connect the MIDI Out of your computer MIDI interface (usually an external USB to MIDI device) to HD500 MIDI In.

- In Cubase, enable the MIDI Out device where HD500 is connected

Good luck!

by raz_klinghoffer on 2012-09-07 23:49:33

If I hade a usb to midi device I wouldn't have asked this question in the first place

But thanks!

by mazuwa on 2012-09-08 00:25:05

You need to buy an USB to MIDI 1x1(1x MIDI IN, 1x MIDI out) interface. They are not expensive.

I have got the impression you want to avoid to get one, but no way.

by raz_klinghoffer on 2012-09-08 09:30:06

Ok thank you!

by jimsreynolds on 2012-09-09 07:43:40

Ah!   I did not realise that you did not have a Midi interface for your PC.   fledisma and Mazuwa are correct.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.