Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New user - quick question

pwik

pre effects are placed "Pre" or before the amp such as wah, compressor, overdrive, distortion and post effects are placed "Post" or after the amp like chorus, delays, reverb.  In reality post effects are between the preamp and the power section using the amps fx loop.  POD just places them after the amp block.

The pre and post terms refer to the position of the FX relative to the amp in the signal chain. Any FX can be placed anywhere in the signal chain - either pre or post. There is no right or wrong place to position any FX; whatever sounds best to you is right for you.

However, there are common practices. I usually will place things like distortion, overdrive, wah and EQ FX pre-amp, and delays and reverb post-amp. Mod and chorus/flange FX I use regularly in either position. Of course, having said that I expect others will chime in with their preferred common usage. And they are right, too.