Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Advice on PC set up - Pod HD pro

Hi Guys

I have been recording my guitar with pod hd pro straight via usb into my laptop and DAW however I feel that now it is time for me to move on and upgrade from laptop to pc.

Would any of you have experience or suggestions what pc set up would work best for home recording..processior,motherboards,ram etc etc. Looking for practical ideas to make my pc running smooth with all my daw/pod hd pro/vst fro drums running.

Also with Pod hd pro - I have been plugging this directly via USb which gave good results...in new pc set up would this still be the case or is that necessary to get some interface - I understand it is not however if you feel there is a need what would be recommended?

Appreciate advice in advance!

Zibi

Two very important things for a music/recording PC: lots of RAM and a quiet fan. The processor speed is not likely to be an issue, but too little RAM will cause problems. And fan noise can make its way into your recordings especially when using a mic input. For best performance when recording, disconnect your computer from the Internet and temporarily disable all unnecessary background processes such as virus checkers, spyware, and other usb devices.

You can still use USB from the HD Pro to your computer, but make sure you get at least a couple of the older USB 2.0 ports rather than exclusively the newer USB 3.0.

I like to have a HDD dedicated for recording.

I run the OS, DAW and other software on one HDD and the recording/capturing on the other.

To silverhead's point regarding performance, best would be to use the desktop only for recording and only connect to the net as needed and not bog down your pc with unneeded software.

And be sure your OS is 64 bit, 32 bit can only see 4G of RAM (most Windows machines are these days).