Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's a good amp model for this heavy Christmas song?

alienux

I'm playing this song this weekend (just found out about it) and most of my heavy gain patches are a little too dark/metal sounding for the song (up through 0:40 will give a good sampling).

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/5cj6thzaqy1pztu/02+Joy+to+the+World.mp3

I'm not looking for someone to make a patch for me or anything like that, I'd just like some suggestions on an amp model and/or distortion pedal model that would get me in the ballpark of this tone. I'm plenty comfortable enough to build the patch to sound good in the live mix, it's just that since I bought my HD500X last April, I haven't familiarized myself with all of the amp models as much as I would like to have by now.

So what are some good amp models to start with to get somewhere near the tone for the song in the link? I'm thinking maybe one of the Marshall amp models, but if anyone has a better starting point, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

The posted ones looks good.

My favorite tone that I think would fit this okay. The Marshall Super lead head with a T-75 cab and 57 on axis. Use an overdrive turned up all the way adjust gain on the head to taste. Might use a Tube Screamer instead since that clip seems to have quite a mid-range type of tone.

• Upvote 1

The posted ones looks good.

My favorite tone that I think would fit this okay. The Marshall Super lead head with a T-75 cab and 57 on axis. Use an overdrive turned up all the way adjust gain on the head to taste. Might use a Tube Screamer instead since that clip seems to have quite a mid-range type of tone.

Thanks Palico, I'll give that a shot, too. I was thinking a TS would help with the sound once I get a good basic tone from an amp model.

So I really liked the LA Metal Mick patch posted above, but I thought it was just a bit brighter than what I'm looking for. Other than that, cool patch that just needed to have the mids boosted some to be usable live.

I ended up making a new patch with the Plexi Lead 100 (normal) and the T75. I generally put my 57s off axis but followed the suggestion for that mic being on axis for this amp/cab combo, and I really like how it is turning out. The mids are at about 90% with treble and bass a little over 50%. I've got 2 other similar patches I'm working on, so I haven't made up my mind 100% yet which I'll use, but here's what I have on the patch that has the Plexi Lead. It's my favorite so far. (I just threw this together in about 2 minutes and couldn't find a drum track on the spur of the moment that was 160 bmp like the original song, so I used this one at 147, and I didn't get time to double-track the guitars):

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/vv7lqcvbn3ia3wa/JoyMarshLead.mp3

I'll still do some more tweaking, but I like this as a start.

Edit: Here's the Metal Mick patch (I didn't pay attention to levels when I exported, so this is much louder than the other file)

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/2pc4dl3et2js2zd/JoyMetalMick.mp3

Edit 2: Here's another patch that I've been using live for some time, but I think it sounds a little too muffled for this song (although I've had a few people tell me they like this tone the best):

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/vz5bpjcyeiz2qjt/JoyBrown3.mp3