Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PC usage with Sonic Port VX?

TeeDeeCee

Good morning!

Santy Claus dropped a Sonic Port VX off Christmas morning. I dutifully put together a demo-quality track using GarageBand on iPad, but now I've got problems. How do I use this cool Sonic Port VX with a laptop running Win8.1? I've diligently searched all the usual websites and even a couple audio studio app sites, no joy. Not gonna go with an Apple Air, because then I'm not able to buy Line6 products. ;-)

Please help me, O Wizards O Wise Ones! :-)

Your Sonic Port is compatible with your PC; just connect it using the supplied USB cable. You may also need to install a driver. Run Line 6 Monkey with the Sonic Port connected. It will help you download and install the driver if necessary.

When connected the Sonic Port becomes your soundcard, meaning you need to connect your speakers/monitors/headphones to the Somic Port outputs.

Also, in order to record you will need a PC-compatible audio recording program. There are many available at reasonable cost. If you're new to recording I would start with a free program called Riffworks T4 to get the basics, and then upgrade later if you wish.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the comeback!

My PC speaks Line6 already courtesy of a UX-1 (which I love, btw.) Just to see if anything has changed since the original post, I plugged in the VX and woke up the Monkey a few minnits ago. Monkey still doesn't show the VX in the dropdown list of devices, so which compatible device does Monkey like in order to move forward? ;-)

Each Line 6 device has its own driver, so your PC doesn't yet 'speak' Line 6 Sonic Port. You need to download and install the correct driver. You can do it manually by going to the Support-Downloads section of this website. Select Sonic Port VX as the Product and Driver as the software. It should automatically detect your OS.

I am using it with Reaper and Mixcraft, the mics work great but pluging guitar straight in is a little too hot of a signal (humbuckers) and clips alot. without additional windows software there is no way to adjust the input that I can figure out. I guess windows users are going to need more hardware between the guitar and sonicport. I was planning on taking it back but I am thinking about keeping it and just running hardware sims through in on the line in input.

If your driver is installed properly you should be able to go to you Preferences or Options menu and switch to Asio and see the sonicport.

• 1 year later...

I am new to Sonic Port VX and recording via the computer.  From the posts above, I've seen that Reaper would detect and recognize the Sonice Port VX.  I've downloaded and installed Reaper and it immediately saw the interface.  So, my next question is, how the hell do I use the functionality of the Sonic Port through reaper? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...