Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sv Mk1 112 And The "self Resetting Amp" Problem

ceedjay

Hi there,

Wow, long long time wothout posting here ;o)

I am still the owner of a mark 1 SV 112 and still hppy with it. I never experienced the overheating DSP problem leading to neverending ressting of the amp, but it is true that I seldom used it at high volume for long periods of time. I only gigged twice with it and have played it in my personal home studio at home mostly.

What I would have liked to know is if this problem is systematic with MK1 SVs or if it is completely random. I mean, have there been random series that have the problem and others that don't have it ?

I have the Strymon SVPre that I installed when it came out and the DSP board is, it seems, the first make (Revision A from 2007).

So far, I have never experienced the problem. If I ever do, I'll try to fix it with a heatsink on the overheating areas of the board, but I'd really like to know if this is a randomly happening problem. If not, I might have just got a series without the flaw and I'll be glad about it ;o)

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Jay

this is your question

What I would have liked to know is if this problem is systematic with MK1 SVs or if it is completely random. I mean, have there been random series that have the problem and others that don't have it ?

this is my answer

I am currently experiencing the infamous "overheating DSP problem"

that suggests to me that there is in fact a problem with the mk1 overheating and the man also explains a fix for the problem. and...?

i posted this because i felt it was related to your problem

Hi !

I know that there is a problem with MK1 SVs and I know about the possible fix (does it work in the long run ?), but what I want to know is if anyone said that it is with ALL MK1 SVs or only a certain amount. If it was with all MK1s I guess L6 should have changed the mainboard for ALL users, free of charge, under waranty or not. That would have been the least thing to do. But, of course they won't admit it if it is a systematic problem (even if it is indeed systematic).

So, it does not answer the question :)

Cheers.

Jay

Hi !

Of course not ! Do you seriously think that L6 will admit that there is a "by-design" problem with the first generation of SVs ? I don't think so. If they were to do that, they would have to call all the amps for free servicing.

But, again, outside L6 (among users), does anyone know if this problem is to happen on all MK1 SVs of if it will happen on only certain batches of units.

If you don't know the answer to this question, please, just say it and that's all.

Anyway, I'll just carry on using it the way I do and if it lollipops the bed at some point, I'll just open and try to fix it. But I would have liked to know...

Thanks.

Jay

I have the Strymon SVPre that I installed when it came out and the DSP board is, it seems, the first make (Revision A from 2007

does line6 support the modification with the  Strymon SVPre.? whether or not this has anything to do with your topic, which is overheating, i don't know, you mentioned it. maybe you did something wrong when you installed it. and...

Do you seriously think that L6 will admit that there is a "by-design" problem with the first generation of SVs ? I don't think so

they have admitted to a design flaw concerning the dt25/50 amps with the transformers. which they warrant free of charge. if the overheating is the result of a design flaw, i would think they would announce that also. and...

But, again, outside L6 (among users), does anyone know if this problem is to happen on all MK1 SVs of if it will happen on only certain batches of units.

so you expect to get an answer from people that don't work at line6 to know if this problem is universal and furthermore you expect people that don't work at line6 to have information about which particular run of these amps are faulty if any. and...

Anyway, I'll just carry on using it the way I do and if it lollipops the bed at some point, I'll just open and try to fix it. But I would have liked to know...

well, i guess you don't need an answer after all. and...

i was only trying to add information by posting the link. you notice i didn't add my opinion or try to answer your question. and...

AND...  i'll reply to any post i feel i might add pertinent information, if i'm wrong or you disagree, i'm sorry and...

AND... you could have just given a negative point to my post. and...

http://line6.com/support/message/99818#99818

Hi !

Obviously, my English is not good enough. I said I haven't experienced this problem so far (have had the amp for 5 years). I just wanted to know if it would happen for sure at some point, that's all. No, I didn't do anything wrong when installing the SVPre.

Just forget about my first post, I'll just carry on living my life......and using my SV that's working normally so far.......

• 3 years later...

Spider valve 112.

I just bought one that has this problem. Talking to line 6 support, the woman who obviously was reading off the screen said that this problem is not on her list of known issues. I figure I will call again tomorrow and ask for a tech or suporvisor.

• 6 years later...

Well, its been six years, and figured I would update my solution.
What I did was,  called Line6, and got ahold of the actual people in tech support.

What I wanted was for them to sell me the pre-amp mother board that had the over heated

processor on it. They would not. I told them that my degree was in electronic repair, which it is,

and that I was more than capable of replacing it myself. They wanted me to ship it to them at

my cost, so they could fix it, and my cost.
By the time I got done with them, I got them to admit that it was a design flaw of their own making, and 

that they should have issued a recall on these amps. Then, I got them to pay for shipping, and the repair.

I have had no issues with the amp since. Not bad for a $50 investment.