Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Phantom power assignable to individual input?

Hi,

I need to connect a DI needing 48V phantom power to one input.  I see in the manual that phantom power can be assigned to the top row or the bottom row of inputs but can it be assigned to only one input.  I don't want to assign to several inputs because my other inputs received voice mics or line inputs that don't need phantom power.

Thank you!

Cheers

No.

As per manual, you can assign phantom on channels 1-6 or channels 7-12 but not individual channels.

Like you, I don't really like having phantom power on channels which don't need it, so I have a couple of external phantom power supplies: A Palmer 2 channel and a Canford 2 channel. I run the overhead condenser mic (Rode NT4) via one of these external sources and leave phantom turned off on the M20d.

But what happens if I send phantom power to Shure SM58s or other mics or preamps that don't need it? Can it be dangerous for the mics or preamps?

As TheRealZap has said, nothing will happen if you plug an SM58 into a channel which has phantom powering enabled.

99.9% of the gear you'll plyg in to a modern board will suffer no ill effects from phantom being present on the line.

All modern mics will be fine and most outboard equipment will also be fine. BUT read the instructions for the device and see whether an exclusion exists and, if so, move it to a channel on the M20 where phantom won't be present.

Run phantom on 1-6 and then move everything that *might* be at risk to channels 7-16

Yes. There really is no problem with this. The only time there would be a problem is with certain older model ribbon microphones, or microphones that are wired incorrectly or have defective cables. Modern dynamic microphones using balanced connectors are safe. You also mention connecting "preamps" - you would not connect these to the XLR's, but into the line-level TRS Jack connectors. These do not carry phantom power. Phantom power is seen only on the 3-pin XLR connections.  I have been running phantom power through balanced XLR's to a wide range of dynamic microphones for many, many years. Not one problem, ever.

Old gear (like 70's) might have issues with phantom power and you want to be careful.  New gear might have some pops as you plug/unplug the gear but that's it.  They call it 'phantom' power because things that don't care about it don't notice it's there.

Thank you to all contributors.

I also connect preamps (the one of my acoustic/electric guitar for instance) since the 12 inputs accept TRS jack connectors as well as XLRs and are labelled as being the Line/Mic type. Also the 4 jack Line inputs are already in use.

Just check with the vendors of those pieces of kit to ensure that phantom power on the line wouldn't cause an issue. 99.9% of the time it won't and pretty much all gear that plugs in via XLR to a mixer is likely to be immune to phantom. Ultimately though, the only people who can advise are the people who made the outboard gear.

All of the XLR inputs on the board can also accept TRS (the hole in the center)

Precisely! And there is no phantom power on those, only on the "surrounding" XLR....

So, you have 20 line inputs on TRS if you need them, not 4.