Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

XLR way quieter than 1/4" ?

spawn2031

Hey guys, been some experimentation with outputs and I noticed that the XLRs for my 500x are way quieter than my normal unbalanced 1/4" ones.  Is this normal?  I was really wanting to use my XLRs out to my new speakers but I'm having to roughly double the output from my pod to equal the volume with my 1/4" outs.  Nothing too horrible but I was really wanting to get to the needed volume with the most headroom available.  I have noticed some unwanted static in my 1/4" outs (not sure if it's the cable) my XLRs are clean though. 

The 1/4" outputs are switchable between "Amp" and "Line" levels -- the hotter Line level is what is normally needed for a power amp with no preamp. The XLR outputs are at "Amp" level only, such as needed for mic level inputs of a mixer with its preamps. I was disappointed that the XLR's could not be run at Line level for my Crown PA amp, as it has both XLR and 1/4" inputs. I wanted to use the balanced XLR cables, due to better noise rejection, but have found using 1/4" quality guitar cable not to be a problem, as far as noise goes. If you stay in 20 foot or less length or so, the 1/4" 2 - conductor good quality shielded instrument cable does not cause a noise issue, I've found.

Incidentally, I believe the HD PRO X has switchable Line/Amp levels on it's XLR outputs. I did not need a rack mountable unit and the additional floorboard it would require to control it. I've been quite happy with my 500X and power amp combination.

If the speakers are FRFR powered monitors, they may have a gain adjustment between Line and Mic level on their XLR inputs.

Dave

• Upvote 1

For me, for a live big rock gig....stage volume level....the XLR's aren't a realistic option.  Unless, I'm running through a lot of headroom wattage powering it up to compensate for the volume drop.  I was bummed too, but that's what it is.  

The 1/4" outputs are switchable between "Amp" and "Line" levels -- the hotter Line level is what is normally needed for a power amp with no preamp. The XLR outputs are at "Amp" level only, such as needed for mic level inputs of a mixer with its preamps. I was disappointed that the XLR's could not be run at Line level for my Crown PA amp, as it has both XLR and 1/4" inputs. I wanted to use the balanced XLR cables, due to better noise rejection, but have found using 1/4" quality guitar cable not to be a problem, as far as noise goes. If you stay in 20 foot or less length or so, the 1/4" 2 - conductor good quality shielded instrument cable does not cause a noise issue, I've found.

Incidentally, I believe the HD PRO X has switchable Line/Amp levels on it's XLR outputs. I did not need a rack mountable unit and the additional floorboard it would require to control it. I've been quite happy with my 500X and power amp combination.

If the speakers are FRFR powered monitors, they may have a gain adjustment between Line and Mic level on their XLR inputs.

Dave

Don't want to derail here, but after just getting my HD pro hooked into a rocktron velocity 300, I ran it stereo, and had to crank the heck out of it to get to live volume, so I ended up just running it bridged mono to get more power. But I also had it switched to "amp" in the back, which is what I "thought" I was supposed to do. So you're saying the the "line" setting is hotter, and won't adversely affect tone or the equipment?

I've made some measurements you can find here. You'll see that the gain from Guitar(normal) to 1/4"(amp) out is -4.9dB while the gain from Guitar(normal) to XLR is -14.3 dB (and gain from Guitar(normal) to headphone is +10.5dB). In addition, the 1/4"(line) output is 6dB larger than 1/4"(amp).

• Upvote 1

But I also had it switched to "amp" in the back, which is what I "thought" I was supposed to do. So you're saying the the "line" setting is hotter, and won't adversely affect tone or the equipment?

Switch to line and if it clips switch back to amp.