Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't download Gearbox software - help!

johnsakell

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, long time member , first time post...unfortunately

Have had a break for about 4 years to raise some children , and upon returning to all my gear (UX2/Pod Farm/XTLive) I could not turn up Gearbox.

I have trawled these forums for a while and it seems there are a lot of dissatisfied customers who just want to see the return of a reliable satisfactory piece of software.

I have also had the problem of not being to download the Gearbox from the suggested links supplied here from Line 6 experts. I get the standard The webpage cannot be found message.

The Real Zap says something along the lines of " no need for it when there are other software available that can do the job" (paraphrased). But there is no mention of names. That would be a bit more helpful. Or is this just Line 6 policy not to mention them as the are not Line 6 products.

Its not my thing to be grumpy on blogs/forums, seems like a waste of time  talking to a computer monitor, so I would just like to strongly urge some more helpful support in

- getting gearbox upright again,

and or

- explaining why it no longer is available (real reason)

- what are the real alternatives.

Of course, any help or positive reinforcement will be warmly appreciated.

I've just spent 10 days trying to get a Roland Juno-D midi to work with Cubase, and only had my Eureka moment last night after 50 or so you tube vids and what seems like a 1000 forum visits. And as soon as I got it singing, the Pod Farm drivers decided to drop off my recording.... really! are you serious!! :( so I am conditioned to frustration being "business as usual" wrt audio software. 

the software you need is the original pod farm (not pod farm 2)

gearbox is still available... just no longer updated. (and neither is the original pod farm)

both should still work for MOST people...

the only exception i would note is a mac running Yosemite, they seem to be having issues....

but there are forum posts where people have created workarounds.

just go here, fill in the pulldown menus and download:

http://line6.com/software/

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Too bad. I have the original Pod Kidney Bean, multiple Variax guitars from the 2000's and a couple of POD x3 Lives. Nothing is supported by Line 6 anymore. However, my 1940's Martin D-18 still works fine, as do my Fenders, Gibsons, Gretchs, Ibanezes, Taylors, Yamahas, old Chinese knockoffs, and even my old Jeep, Toyotas, Harleys and Indian bikes. Line 6? You f-cked up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spambox said:

Too bad. I have the original Pod Kidney Bean, multiple Variax guitars from the 2000's and a couple of POD x3 Lives. Nothing is supported by Line 6 anymore. However, my 1940's Martin D-18 still works fine, as do my Fenders, Gibsons, Gretchs, Ibanezes, Taylors, Yamahas, old Chinese knockoffs, and even my old Jeep, Toyotas, Harleys and Indian bikes. Line 6? You f-cked up.

They f-ed up by not making acoustic guitars?

How long do you expect a company to support a piece of electronic gear after it’s been discontinued? No company is going to support something that’s discontinued in perpetuity. It’s not like the stuff can’t be used without the editors, either. Line 6 still has updated drivers for the X3 Live, so it’s still possible to use it as a recording interface and a Variax interface for Workbench.

Jeep, Toyota, Harley, etc., certainly don’t have parts for all their models going back decades now. It’s just that there enough of those things around that are OEM parts available still.

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 1:00 AM, J_Will88 said:

Gearbox was never updated for Operating systems following Windows 8.

Go to the line6 webpage,  Download the old drivers for windows 7 and install it on your windows 10 or newer. should work just fine. 

Appreciate the tip, but mine won't work with the GuitarPort on Windows 10. Got it to download and everything, but just fizz coming through. I have a sentimental admiration for the Gearbox and GuitarPort setup as it was my first foray into playing via PC. There is also one specific preset that I have never been able to emulate anywhere else, and that includes my AXE FX II, Overloud, Amplitube or any other modeling hardware/software I have tried. Such a bummer.

• 3 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 5:37 PM, phil_m said:

They f-ed up by not making acoustic guitars?

How long do you expect a company to support a piece of electronic gear after it’s been discontinued? No company is going to support something that’s discontinued in perpetuity. It’s not like the stuff can’t be used without the editors, either. Line 6 still has updated drivers for the X3 Live, so it’s still possible to use it as a recording interface and a Variax interface for Workbench.

Jeep, Toyota, Harley, etc., certainly don’t have parts for all their models going back decades now. It’s just that there enough of those things around that are OEM parts available still.

They f-ed up by not allowing gear to authorise online anymore. Rendering my up to then fully working Toneport UX useless. They should have had a software update that unlocked the old gear for good. Letting people who still wish to use what they paid for as long as their computer keeps going. i can't use mine anymore. And it is so light that it is even useless to try and use it as a paper weight.

On 3/21/2023 at 8:08 PM, thrl said:

They f-ed up by not allowing gear to authorise online anymore. Rendering my up to then fully working Toneport UX useless. They should have had a software update that unlocked the old gear for good. Letting people who still wish to use what they paid for as long as their computer keeps going. i can't use mine anymore. And it is so light that it is even useless to try and use it as a paper weight.

Have you opened a support ticket? Perhaps they can help you out.