Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume Drops...

Check the Jtv guitars forum, there was another user with identical problem, he had guitar string cut offs fouling the electronics .

I don't know how to make a link to the thread but it is titled "JTv mags pick ups terribly weak." Or words to that effect. It is listed as a hot topic by the way.

Check the Jtv guitars forum, there was another user with identical problem, he had guitar string cut offs fouling the electronics .

I don't know how to make a link to the thread but it is titled "JTv mags pick ups terribly weak." Or words to that effect. It is listed as a hot topic by the way.

That's a very misleading post. The OP did not confirm that it was broken strings causing short circuits, the post you're referring to was a reply that SUGGESTED to check if that was the problem.

Yes that is right . It was just a suggestion to check for that as a possible cause for the problem.

It's all good, just a mistake, but it would be misinforming. 

I'm not saying it's possible that it can cause a short circuit, or that the OP of this thread could of had a short circuit, but for data purposes, it's not the case of that other thread.

My first thought that it may have been the ball ends shorting.  But I opened up the unit and didn't find any of them - plus I believe that was an issue with the older (first gen?) JTV's that had been corrected.  Thanks for the suggestion though...

Oh, and I thought I was in the JTV forum...

My first thought that it may have been the ball ends shorting.  But I opened up the unit and didn't find any of them - plus I believe that was an issue with the older (first gen?) JTV's that had been corrected.  Thanks for the suggestion though...

Oh, and I thought I was in the JTV forum...

It is a problem with the 69 JTVs, not the old Variaxes. The Old Variax is a through-body system with the trem block, just like other Strats, but the JTV  strings from the front with holes in the bridge, and the cavity the bridge floats over has a route to the Variax guts, so the ball ends could essentially break into the cavity, then find it's way into the route and into the guts cavity.

Very bad design choice. Next time I string up my guitar, I might just tie the ball ends to the saddles with thread because of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Tom --

I brought this up nearly a year ago, but didn't get much traction or find an answer -- see:

http://line6.com/support/topic/8248-new-volume-contol-behavior-on-my-69s/

It's only with my mags on my 69S, and not with my 59. Doesn't do it on either guitar's models. Lately, it's been hit or miss -- sometimes yes, sometimes no. Last few days, I haven't had it do it. But within the last week it has... It's not bad, but does make me wonder, of course. I ride volume and always have the on-board pedal configured as a volume pedal. During breaks, I have always put the volume pedal to zero when I hang my guitars on the stand, so hasn't been a particular "problem".

BTW, and off topic -- I bought the Quilter Tone Block 200 --  saw you recommend it once when someone asked about it on another thread. I do like it, and it's a bit more "musical" like a guitar amp. My Crown XLS1000 has become my backup, but now kind of sounds a bit "flat" not in a good way -- any recommendations on how to spruce it up with the Global EQ? Just wondering.... Anyway -- back to your regularly scheduled topic.....

Dave