Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

funkifized

I'm using a Fender Deluxe 112 with XTLive. Anyone have good suggestions on setup? I'm setting the XT output to "amp" and going right in the front end. Would there be any reason to use the Power Amp in, or the Preamp Out? 

Pre-amp out/power amp in is an FX loop. You could run guitar--->POD--->power amp in. This bypasses the combo's pre-amp and tone stack, so your tone will not be altered by running it into another pre-amp. As far as I'm concerned this is the easiest way to get a good sound, but certainly no the only way. Daisy-chaining two pre-amps together is often a mess, and almost always a much noisier set-up. Not impossible to do mind you, but just requires more tweaking.

With amps that have FX loops, there's also the 4 cable method (4CM).  This allows you to use either the POD models for your tone, or your amp's pre-amp (leaving the POD just for fx). There are numerous threads on here that discuss the 4CM. For me it's more trouble than it's worth, but there are plenty of guys who use it with good results.

Pre-amp out/power amp in is an FX loop. You could run guitar--->POD--->power amp in. This bypasses the combo's pre-amp and tone stack, so your tone will not be altered by running it into another pre-amp. As far as I'm concerned this is the easiest way to get a good sound, but certainly no the only way. Daisy-chaining two pre-amps together is often a mess, and almost always a much noisier set-up. Not impossible to do mind you, but just requires more tweaking.

With amps that have FX loops, there's also the 4 cable method (4CM).  This allows you to use either the POD models for your tone, or your amp's pre-amp (leaving the POD just for fx). There are numerous threads on here that discuss the 4CM. For me it's more trouble than it's worth, but there are plenty of guys who use it with good results.

So, are we talking about running the XTLive in "Line" mode, or "Amp" mode while going through the FX loop? 4CM doesn't seem to be available for the XTLive. 

Your amp is solid state so no advantage to 4CM for you.  I suggest as cruising said, just go straight from the left mono out to the power amp in on your amp.  Set the POD out to Line and turn the level up towards max for the best signal to noise ratio.  Think of the level as a POD master.

Set up like this, your amp is really just a powered speaker cab with a fixed volume set at max.  Everything will need to be done in the POD including volume control.  This should give you the best signal to your amp and really let the POD do all the work.  I think you will like it much better this way.