Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No Line6 gear exept Variax?

I use my JTV-69 with a Fender Mustang III.v2 modeling amp.  Why?  Because my HD500 does not do a good job of emulating a tube amplifier in terms of how it reacts to the volume control and pick attack.  There doesn't seem to be a good middle ground between glassy clean and highly overdriven.  The HD500 is very much a "one trick pony".  Any one patch can be dialed to provide crystally rhythm or crunchy edge-of-breakup chording or punch-between-the-eyes overdrive.  What I have never been able to do is get a setting that lets me do all of those in a single patch by working off the volume control and my picking.  The Fender, while not perfect by any means, is just more "organic" in the way it responds.

• Upvote 1

part 1 based on the famous "01A Son Of Plexi" factory preset + spank-5 model (quick on the fly comparison)

part 2 is under construction (focused on a-riff-by-riff comparison).

part 2a uploaded (focused on variax mags-riff-by-riff-comparison)

part 3 is also under construction (focused on guitar-volume-knob+pick-attack-sensitivity comparison).

Edited by jandrio
  • Upvote 1

Yup.  Thanks.  I had seen that and didn't put two and two together and realize it was your post.  The HD500 exhibits its native "icepick through the ears" overdrive in a vain attempt at emulating a Marshall Plexi.  Even if it can be EQ'ed to sound more like the Helix it will likely do so only at one setting of the guitar volume knob. 

An HD500/500X has its place, but being a universal tool for classic rock / R&B players is not one of them. 

Volume controll and pick attack is important to me also.

I just got a variax and wondering if I should buy a HD500x just for the variax controll option, or just stay with my lovely tube amps.

And now we have the Helix comming up...