Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Part 6 in my video series featuring the HD500X now uploaded

PeterJH

Hi everyone,

I've just uploaded Part 6 in my video series. This part covers the 4 cable method and I've purposely used a relatively inexpensive solid state Marshall amp.

I used a Marshall 2 X 12 speaker cab and miced it with an SM57.

The idea was to show that even with a fairly cheap amp one can still get great tones using this method.

I hope you enjoy,

Cheers,

Peter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_SMjAb4GQ&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 2

New go to video for people asking about the 4 cable method! Well done as usual. Just reviewed video 2 as well again, it seems your way of working on the POD itself for the parametric EQ seems actually easier than the HD Edit version of the same effect.

hi, very cool, as always, but the advantage of this system  4 cables would not connect to a tube amp? which advantage of making this method in a transistor amp, it would not be even better, in this case, direct connect the mixer?

• Upvote 1

hi, very cool, as always, but the advantage of this system  4 cables would not connect to a tube amp? which advantage of making this method in a transistor amp, it would not be even better, in this case, direct connect the mixer?

I think the reasoning behind this is, if someone has an amp they are happy with (nice pre amp,etc) they can have the best of both options by using this method. Also I would imagine that maybe not every one has or uses a mixing desk.

I think the reasoning behind this is, if someone has an amp they are happy with (nice pre amp,etc) they can have the best of both options by using this method. Also I would imagine that maybe not every one has or uses a mixing desk.

Yes, that is one of the reasons but the other reason is that for some users the outlay in buying the Pod is a fairly large one and there just isn't enough left to spend on an expensive tube amp. The idea was to show that it is still very possible to get really good tones from a solid state amp. In this video, 90% of the tone is generated by the HD500X which IMHO is how it should be with modelling.

The MG Marshall turned out to be quite transparent and had more than enough power for just about any application. The secret to using solid state is to ensure that the amp has more than enough clean headroom. You don't want the amp to go into clipping.