Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any full on rock bands use the stagesource line for their PA (sans the m20d)?

Hello all! My friend/second guitarist in our band is going to be getting a behringer x32 digital mixer. I currently own two peavey SP2s and two peavey subs. They are heavy as hell and I'm getting old now... lol. Plus transportation is an issue. Currently we just pay sound guys. But with the x32 we are going all IEMs and want to run our own sound (several of us have wore that hat in other bands).

My question: we are a 5 piece rock cover band. We do everything from Sheryl Crow/No Doubt to Avenged Sevenfold/Metallica depending on the gig.

Can these speakers support a full rock band? We play small to medium size clubs/bars with the occasional larger(ish) room thrown in.

If so, what do you suggest we purchase, speaker wise? Two subs and two l2ms? Will the line 6 link be a factor without the m20d?

Hello all! My friend/second guitarist in our band is going to be getting a behringer x32 digital mixer. I currently own two peavey SP2s and two peavey subs. They are heavy as hell and I'm getting old now... lol. Plus transportation is an issue. Currently we just pay sound guys. But with the x32 we are going all IEMs and want to run our own sound (several of us have wore that hat in other bands).

My question: we are a 5 piece rock cover band. We do everything from Sheryl Crow/No Doubt to Avenged Sevenfold/Metallica depending on the gig.

Can these speakers support a full rock band? We play small to medium size clubs/bars with the occasional larger(ish) room thrown in.

Absolutely, yes. You get the best performance out of them when combined with the M20d mixer, but from what I've heard, they still work extremely well with other mixers. Simply pay attention to the setup suggestion in the pilots handbook. Connect L&R to the inputs on one sub (L3s) then use L6Link to daisy chain your other line6 speakers off the sub.

I've run a thrash metal gig through mine without any issues at all. Indeed, my biggest praise is that they don't sound "boxy"...

I regularly run mine out with a SKA band as well, and we have it cranked right up and the sound is simply staggering.

Get 'em. You'll not regret it ;-)

If so, what do you suggest we purchase, speaker wise? Two subs and two l2ms? Will the line 6 link be a factor without the m20d?

2 L3s subs and 2 L3t tops

As many have said on here before, the L3t tops are more versatile. The side panel mixers enable you to plug in up to 4 mics (across a pair) along with a stereo source so for small gigs you could go mixerless (assuming you only need the four mic ins.

When I bought mine, I plumped for the m versions without the side mixers but if I were buying now, I'd definitely go the extra few quid and get the t version.

Thank you for the response. You are saying come out of the mixer, into the tops, and then l6link into a sub, then to the second sub off of that?

Speaking of which, since we WON'T have the M20d, will the speakers still be "smart" or would we also need to use a cross over box?

...You are saying come out of the mixer, into the tops, and then l6link into a sub, then to the second sub off of that?.....

No. Go out of the mixer (L and R) to the rear panel stereo Line inputs in a SUB (L3s). Then daisy chain L6 Link to all other speakers.

Ok from the mixer (both left and right) to a sub, and use the link to hit the two tops and second sub, right? Will the system biamp on its own this way?

The l6link will honour your stereo (L/R) signal and put L into one sub and one top, plus R into the second top and sub.

Look at the schematic for "Small PA with Subs" on page 21 of the StageSource pilots guide.

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06433976ee538371228800d/application/pdf/StageSource%20L3%20Quick%20Start%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20C%20).pdf

• 3 weeks later...

The x32 is pretty sweet no doubt but it's a beast (big and heavy) I went back and forth and picked the M20D and have no regrets it is the best sounding system I have ever heard and compares to the quality of a system you would hear at a concert for a big name band. plus recording all the inputs with out a computer. the only thing that I could say against it is you say there 5 of you and in-ears is that there are only 4 monitor mixes. but if you get it from GC you can try it out for a few weeks and take it back if you don't like it. I suspect you won't.

We are a Christian rock band and most gigs we can't turn it up wide open because it's LOUD and super clean and even in a Gymnasium with horrible acoustics it sounds phenomenal. The only time I turned it all the way up was at a out door gig and it was LOUD and CLEAR!!! then I remembered after words I could have turned each individual speaker up even more ( I leave mine at 12 o'clock )

A little late to this discussion but I've used 2xL3M's and 2xL3S's to do some pretty big gigs with several different bands.  I have a classic rock cover band 5 piece that uses it for almost every gig.  I play in a 6 piece Kansas tribute band that uses it for some of our gigs and I've used it for other gigs that I was soundman for.  Surprising amount of power.

It was "just" enough power to do the concert in this video.  You have to filter through the video to find the crowd shots but it was a pretty big outdoor gig.

Did this gig just last week in an outdoors entertainment district.  Notice that there's only one amp on stage for the bass player.  Everything else is direct to the M20D so all you're hearing is L3 speakers.  Soundguy said he was running at less than 50% power.  L3's and L3S's as mains.  L2's as monitors with a QSC k12 for the drum monitor (nothing against the L2 but it's just doesn't have the nuts to be a good drum monitor).

• 8 months later...

were a 5 piece rockband "kamikazee millionaires " mettalica, shinedown, black stone cherry etc..we use the md20 and two l3t's and some passive subs and its way big enough for us .. but love the sound on those subs