Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and recording

BigRalphN

Newbie here,

Still reading through this thread, but was hoping for a quick answer and perhaps some insight.

Transitioning from the HD500 to the Helix (Awesome, by the way); Here is my current configuration:

• Guitar Into Helix
  • iMac (2012) - OS X with latest updates
  • Logitech PC speakers (good for gaming, suck as monitors...lol).  However, headphones are connected to the Logitech speakers
  • Helix connected to Mac via supplied USB cable connected directly to the Mac (no camera kit)
  • Garageband
    • Audio-In: Helix
    • Audio-Out: Built-In Output

Three questions:

1. Why would, after playing with tone banks and presets for several minutes, Garageband begin to lag guitar playing?
  2. Can anyone confirm whether the Camera Kit would resolve this issue? 
  3. Within Garageband, should Audio-Out run through System Settings, Built-In Output, or Helix?

Update:

I seem to be getting much better results with ‘Helix’ both for Audio-In and Audio-Out.  The only difference is I plug my headphones into the Helix as opposed to PC speakers.

Hi, RSpringer (it's a little formal, but hey!)

Looks like you may have solved this yourself but here's a quick suggested set up.

Guitar into Helix.

Helix into iMac via USB

GarageBand Audio-In and Audio-Out both set to use Helix

Ditch the Logitech speakers unless you want to use them strictly for gaming purposes.

In order to hear your signal you will need some decent (powered) Monitor speakers, PA system or whatever to hook up to the 1/4" Jacks or XLR outputs on Helix.

You could possibly use some studio quality headphones to listen via the Helix Headphone sockets - maybe Audio Technica ATH M50X are a reasonable choice, until you get some serious monitoring system in place. Welcome to the money pit.

As for the lags - install the custom OSX driver, it's a beta version, but it fixes some audio issues on some folks Macs.

As I understand it the camera kit reference is aimed at users with iPad, iPhone rigs.

• Upvote 1

Hi, RSpringer (it's a little formal, but hey!)

Hey Datacommando,

Thanks for your input!  

Ya...wasn’t feeling very inspired that day...was I?...lol

Tried changing my username to “IKnowNothing† But it won’t recognize that sentiment.  lol  

I hadn’t considered connecting Monitors directly to the Helix.  When the funds come my way, I’ll look at that configuration.

Appreciate your thoughts.

IKnowNothing, aka RSpringer