Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Important question for DI and rest of line 6 gang

Hblum01

I want to thank line 6 gang for all your attention to questions etc. so I have two more -- a question and two requests:

1. How did you decide on the default numbers for the preset values for the amp settings i.e. Ideal or typical sound vs. random values?

2. Request 1: for amps without certain controls can you indicated that via graphics somehow -- i.e. Non master volume -- leave the master at 10 but highlight or italicizes the controls so we know that for the true sound we should leave it alone.

3.request 2: some additional written guide for dialing in some of the amps that we may not have as much experience with in real life. I know that a lot of it is just time and experimentation and personal taste but maybe some suggestions in written format would get people Going faster and also cut down on that component of learning curve -- probably get better reviews too as a newbie would get to the intended and likely better sound faster. This could be used for effects as well (i.e., sample settings with descriptions). While this does entail work my guess is writing a supplemental manual might take a lot less time than debugging and coding 😀

Thanks

Howie

• Upvote 1

Well, let's just say that "Line 6 Monkey" isn't just the name of a piece of software... Who do you think creates all these presets and set all the defaults? The Line 6 Monkey! :P

Seriously, though, I think they tried hard to set the default values on the amps to be something that's kind of good representation of what that amp is known for. But, you know, you can't please everyone, and everyone has a different idea of not only what an amp should sound like, but they like. I like your suggestions, though.

1. How did you decide on the default numbers for the preset values for the amp settings i.e. Ideal or typical sound vs. random values?

2. Request 1: for amps without certain controls can you indicated that via graphics somehow -- i.e. Non master volume -- leave the master at 10 but highlight or italicizes the controls so we know that for the true sound we should leave it alone.

3.request 2: some additional written guide for dialing in some of the amps that we may not have as much experience with in real life. I know that a lot of it is just time and experimentation and personal taste but maybe some suggestions in written format would get people Going faster and also cut down on that component of learning curve -- probably get better reviews too as a newbie would get to the intended and likely better sound faster. This could be used for effects as well (i.e., sample settings with descriptions). While this does entail work my guess is writing a supplemental manual might take a lot less time than debugging and coding

1) We brought a handful of golden ears into the big studio here at Line 6 and did three or four marathon sessions, where we A/Bed against other products and commercial recordings. If our raw Amp+Cab block didn't sound as good or better than all the other boxes (with the same or very similar Amp and Cab blocks), we kept tweaking. In a couple cases, we found some issues with the models and Ben went back and fixed things. In later sessions, we stopped A/Bing and just dialed things in by ear. Amp model defaults are way more important than presets.

2) Not quite sure what you're asking. Every possible combination of knob settings in every model is the true sound; where the knobs are set when first adding a model to a preset is just our default, and it can be pretty arbitrary. Nearly any amp or effects parameter can be returned to its default setting by pressing the knob.

3) There's currently no plan to create an exhaustive model and parameter guide, but I've wanted to find time to crank out a Template guide that shows how to hook things up for presets found in Setlist 8. I would say that Helix's models should be accurate enough that any manuals, documents, or YouTube tutorials about the original amps and pedals should be wholly appropriate. For example, any video on using the Klon Centaur should apply when using the Minotaur model in Helix.

I think in regards to #2, he might like to see a chart by amp model that helps clarify what each amp control does. For example, the drive control on non-master volume models is actually more like the volume knob on those old amps(leaving the Master in the power amp section at 10). But on newer amps, the drive is probably modelling the preamp gain.

Also, the Vox models, the treble is actually modeled on the Cut knob on those amps (I think).