Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-59 Big Bummer.

Picked up a JTV-59 at my local Guitar Center Sunday.  I brought my POD X3 Live into the store and played for a while before pulling the trigger.  I got it home, played for about 5 minutes and then ran Monkey to do a firmware update since the guitar didn't have the latest firmware.  

Well, the update didn't complete (error 8000900C) and the modeling has not worked since.   I tried two different computers and several different USB ports tried different usb and vdi/ethernet cables and cannot get the update to run.  LED on model selector stays solid red.....

So, I called Line 6.  Waited on hold for 40 minutes.  Then was told to keep running the update over and over.  I said that I already had, that I was familiar with using Monkey and doing firmware updates on that and other devices.

Then I asked what the solid red LED meant.  After placing me on hold for a few seconds, the support guy told me it was very unlikely going to work and that I had 2 options, return the guitar to Guitar Center for a replacement, or send it to them.

I'll have to check with the GC manager tomorrow.  I don't think they have one in stock to swap.  Hope they are willing and able to bring a new one in for me.  Also, I hope the figuring on the top is as pretty as the one I got, I really liked it a lot!

The moral is, read the instructions carefully, and do everything right.  Unfortunately, that still doesn't eliminate the possibility of bricking the guitar during a firmware upgrade!

Bummed out, 

JP

I returned 3 JTV's to GC until I had one that worked properly. If you can wait a week, have them order you a new one. I take it the one you bought was off the rack? Great guitar!! Get what you paid for.

JP

Exact same thing happened to me except I got mine through ZZounds. They sent me a shipping lable to return the bad one, as soon as that label was scanned, theyshipped the replacement. Had it in 3 days, updated it and have never had a problem since...about a year. it is my number 1 gigging guitar. I would return it to GC, get your money back and go to ZZounds, they will fincance it for 8 payments at no interest. I have done that with my whole dream rig and am completely happy. My 2 cents :)

• Upvote 1

The GC manager is being very helpful.  He's trying to get a couple of JTV-59's from local stores so I can pick from at least two.  The figuring on the top of the one I got was very pretty, I'de like one as close to that as possible.  Check out the top below.  Really nice matched pieces of figuring.

jtv59.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Check out the entry on this forum page for,....

Problem Upgrading To Ver 1.9

At the bottom of the posting, I'm the JTV Tech here at Line 6, I posted a link for a procedure document I created, that we use here at Line 6 for updating Flash.

No, didn't brick it just yet,.... (error 8000900C) is a hardware run-time error, there was an interruption on the line (data error, slight volt sag, hardware time-out). This can occur at any stage of the connection path between Monkey and the JTV, with all that is in the connection path. So no,.... it's not dead yet.

Double check your set-up and hook-ups to and from computer, any MIDI, the JTV interface box and whatever else you have hooked in.

Then try using the procedure in the link, and if needed,... run it twice. If that doesn't work, then you may have brick the Main Board. A

local authorized Line 6 service center would be able to deal with that.

-P.B. Sarkissian