Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD 2.0 and POD Pro the same sounds?

Hi all,

I initially bought a POD 2.0 and I kinda fell in love with the 6D sound. I can't remember if I ever tweaked it or if it was the original sound, but to me, it kicks *ss. 

As I am gradually upgrading my home studio, I decided to buy a used POD Pro, thinking it had the exact same amps and cabinets as the 2.0.  However, with Line 6 Edit I exported the 6D sound and saved it to the Pro AND IT SOUNDS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT !

Are those devices supposed to be identical as far as amps, cabinets and effects go? Should I expect the same sound when exported and imported between devices?

Thanks a lot!

BC

Well, the POD 2.0 just has the A.I.R. mode that can be switched from Amp to Direc, the Pro has a switch that can be set to Studio or Live. It is now set to Live. The Line 6 Editor shows identical settings for the patch for two devices. Beats me where things go wrong. I opened the POD 2.0 an d it showed 2.1 on the EPROM, maybe that version differs drastically from the 1.3 version in the Pro?

thanks,

BC

Well, the POD 2.0 just has the A.I.R. mode that can be switched from Amp to Direc, the Pro has a switch that can be set to Studio or Live. It is now set to Live. The Line 6 Editor shows identical settings for the patch for two devices. Beats me where things go wrong. I opened the POD 2.0 an d it showed 2.1 on the EPROM, maybe that version differs drastically from the 1.3 version in the Pro?

thanks,

BC

Well, if you have the 2.0 set to "Direct", you'd want the Pro set to "Studio". Those would be the equivalent output modes. If you have one set differently, it would be a very drastic difference.

No, then they are set correctly. Maybe I should continue using the 2.0 version, but the S/PDIF out from the Pro would be so nice to use, since my audio interface has a S/PDIF input.

Any other ideas? I will compare the other patches as well to see if those are similar. 

Cheers,

BC

No, then they are set correctly. Maybe I should continue using the 2.0 version, but the S/PDIF out from the Pro would be so nice to use, since my audio interface has a S/PDIF input.

Any other ideas? I will compare the other patches as well to see if those are similar. 

Cheers,

BC

Are you using the S/PDIF now?

One other thing is that there is a gain compensation added to the digital out on the POD Pro that could be causing clipping. It's probably worth checking. From the manual:

Digital Out Gain (Reverb Knob):

This control allows you to add extra gain at your POD’s digital output. This is useful when you are recording with clean or other low level tones. For instance, if you have the Drive knob set low and your tone controls turned low as well, you may find that you aren’t able to get your digital out level near peak even with the Channel Volume knob at max. This is because you aren’t getting the gain contribution of the Drive control, and the gain boosts of the tone controls. We’ve provided you with extra gain in the digital domain to compensate for this, so that you can get a hot digital output from your POD with this sound. To do this, hold down, and keep holding down, the Tap button as you turn the Reverb knob to set the volume level at POD’s digital outputs. Turning this knob to max adds an extra 12dB of gain at the digital out to help you get full-level digital output with clean or lower volume sounds. Turning this control to minimum adds no extra gain to the digital output. Please note that when you add extra gain here, it IS possible that you could clip the digital output if you are using a high gain sound, so be sure to monitor the digital output signal as you are recording to insure everything’s hunky dory.

No, I'm testing with the analog outs currently and was planning to switch to digital once things were identical. Maybe switching to digital now can give me more insight into the problem.

Another possibility of course is that one of the two devices performs simply with an error into it.

Thanks for your input!

BC

FWIW - The Version 1 of the Pods do sound a bit different than the 2.0s. There were some people who prefer the V1 eprom. Assuming the Pro's chip is V1 than that would propably be why the sound is different.

Its been many, many years since I popped the chips in and out, so this is off my memory.

-B

I did not open the Pod Pro yet, but you may be on to something. The firmware showing on the Pro when you power on while holding the manual key says 1.3 but that may be different than what's on the EPROM. I will open the device later today. I don't suppose you can swap the EPROM between a 2.0 and a Pro?

I'm not sure there's a 'problem' at all. You're getting a different sound from two different models of POD devices. That doesn't surprise me even though I understand the underlying amps and modelling is the same. Why expect them to sound absolutely identical, and when they don't, conclude that there is a problem that needs solving?

The real question is: can you get sounds out of the Pod Pro that you like? Maybe even better than the pod 2.0?

Also, it seems like you now have both devices. Why not just use the one you prefer in different situations?

Well, if the patch is identical, shouldn't the sound be the same if the architecture is the same? Is the Pod Pro not the exact same device with the same amps, cabinets and effects, but engineered for use in studio (hence the higher number of connections)?

Maybe you could post a sound sample of the preset you are talking about through both devices? If they are as completely different as you describe then maybe someone here will have had a similar experience and can point to a real problem that was eventually resolved.

OK; I opened the Pro and the EPROM is labelled version 1.3. Do more recent versions exist? Could that be the problem?

Version 1.3 is the most recent EPROM for the POD Pro. If I remember correctly, I believe the POD Pro wasn't released until after the POD 2.0, so that's why its firmware was stilled labeled 1.xx. The newer POD 2.0 (the ones with the different FBV port on the back) do have recoded cab models, I believe, that could sound slightly different than the original 2.0's, but I wouldn't expect it to be a drastic difference.

@Silverhead: it matters because a have a very good patch on the 2.0. It is powerful, well rounded and fits perfect it in the mix. That's why I would like to keep it.

@Phil: my 2.0 does not have USB port, so I guess I have an older 2.0. 

@Silverhead: it matters because a have a very good patch on the 2.0. It is powerful, well rounded and fits perfect it in the mix. That's why I would like to keep it.

I also have the POD XT, but the sound is not half as good as the 2.0. I've read similar findings.

I mis-typed when I first replied and changed my response. None of them have a USB port. On the newer POD 2.0's, the pedal jack in back is labeled "FBV Pedal".

Sorry if I caused any undo dis-assembly.

I have all three: V1 chipped to 2, 2.3 FBV and the Pro (I know I know) and the only one that sounded noticeably different was the V1 Pod Bean. After the Eprom swap (10+ years ago or more) it still sounds like the V2 (fbv) version.

-B

I know one user (who is an amazing guitarist and a pro so knows his stuff) and he has used a Pod 2 for years so bought another as a back-up. He always thought the newer one didn't sound as good. The older version has what is called the 'script' logo and the newer ones have the 'block' logo.

Maybe this could account for the difference - I don't know what the Pro is equivalent to in terms of those two Pod 2 versions.

If you are running the pro in Live mode there is a cab/speaker selection option that can be set by holding the save button on power up. Its been too long to remember but if both were set to "amp/live" it probably would affect the sound of the Pro (see Chapter 4 Pod Pro Manual). Not sure the Bean had that option but that wouldn't matter for studio direct. 

Just thinking. :)

-B

They take their time though - it was mentioned somewhere they would get back to me in 3 days, but it has been more than a week now. They probably are very busy because of the great success of their products, which I get ...

• 3 weeks later...

To be brutally honest you're talking about a 15+ year old product, so there may not even be anyone around at Line 6 anymore who had anything to do with these. An old review I found mentions better AD/DA and says it sounds different to the bean, so maybe there are differences in sound (although I'd think they would be subtler than you say your difference is):

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct00/articles/line6.htm

I understand, but in that case they could simply get back to me with that exact statement. Now I get nothing. 

I think I will spend some time today in trying to get a similar sound on the Pro. If I succeed the bean can go to the Line 6 retirement home. 

• 4 months later...

The difference is in the firmware, I think. POD version 2.1 = POD Pro version 1.1. Since your POD has has the 2.1 firmware and your POD Pro has the 1.3 firmware, that could account for the difference. I read comments saying some folks prefer the sound of certain amp models on the older firmware. 

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I just stumbled on my own old thread. The difference in firmware might jus the it. In the meantime I have bought a Kemper Profiling Amplifier. It blows my Line 6 products out of the park, but one needs to take the added price into account of course,

BC

• 2 years later...