Jump to content
dna757

Wireless headphones

Recommended Posts

Curious Anybody hooked a Bluetooth wireless adaptor to the back of a 150 for wireless headphones?

 

Was thinking about wireless Bluetooth adaptor to connect with a Bose or similar headset setup.

 

Getting married in a bit and I'm sure my new wife will not appreciate my late night sessions.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same question. I own all three Amplifi's 30, 75 and 150. I want to use Bluetooth headphones as to not be wired to my amp. I already have the G10 relay which is AWESOME! How can I add headphones w/out wires?

 

JACK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the Amplifi doesn't transmit audio as a Bluetooth device, it only receives it. You could hook up a bluetooth transmitter to its headphone out and pair that with a pair of bluetooth headphones, but the latency would be noticeable, probably to the point where it would be unworkable. I use Bluetooth earbuds with a transmitter for the TV in my workout area at home, and I can even notice the latency in that situation if I pay attention enough - it becomes obvious the audio track is lagging behind the video. It would probably be noticeable right away with guitar.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a number of "bluetooth transmitters" on Amazon in the USD $20-$40 range that could technically do what you want (i.e. plug the transmitter on the headphone jack or some other line-level audio out) to connect to your bluetooth headphones. Unfortunately, everything that I have tried has a very  noticeable (and I would say "maddening") delay in it. If you are willing to forgo Bluetooth, you could get wireless headphones (again, Amazon is you friend here) in the 900MHz or 2.4GHz bands (for me, 2.4GHz has less interference) which have negligible delay.

 

Or you can try wireless in-ear monitors, which I know, are far more expensive than BT, but like wireless headphones have negligible delay. In fact, at the core, wireless headphones and wireless in-ear monitors are based on the same technology, i's just a matter of how much you're able/willing to spend for them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came here looking for solutions as well. I use a little four channel mixer to combine recordings I'm listening to along with my bass. I plug headphones into the headphone jack, and this has worked well. I started using the G10 Relay for my bass, and it still works perfectly going into my mixer and out to my wired headphones.

 

I decided to go completely wireless and purchased one of those little BlueTooth transmitters to send from the headphone jack of the mixer to a pair of BlueTooth headphones. Instantly, the G10 has latency so bad it is impossible to play along with the recording. It's NOT the BlueTooth, because the music I'm playing is still coming through  the mixer in real time - only the bass using the G10 is lagging, where it didn't lag at all when I was using my wired headphones.

 

Any clue what is causing this? I've re-seated the G10 transmitter in case it needs to choose a new frequency, etc., I made sure it was charged, etc. 

 

Does BlueTooth somehow interfere with the frequencies used by the G10?

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jmreinke said:

I came here looking for solutions as well. I use a little four channel mixer to combine recordings I'm listening to along with my bass. I plug headphones into the headphone jack, and this has worked well. I started using the G10 Relay for my bass, and it still works perfectly going into my mixer and out to my wired headphones.

 

I decided to go completely wireless and purchased one of those little BlueTooth transmitters to send from the headphone jack of the mixer to a pair of BlueTooth headphones. Instantly, the G10 has latency so bad it is impossible to play along with the recording. It's NOT the BlueTooth, because the music I'm playing is still coming through  the mixer in real time - only the bass using the G10 is lagging, where it didn't lag at all when I was using my wired headphones.

 

Any clue what is causing this? I've re-seated the G10 transmitter in case it needs to choose a new frequency, etc., I made sure it was charged, etc. 

 

Does BlueTooth somehow interfere with the frequencies used by the G10?

 

Thanks!

 

It is 100% the Bluetooth headphones. The music is being streamed over Bluetooth and you don't notice the latency because you have nothing else to compare it to. You notice the latency from the Bluetooth because you're comparing it to your real-time playing on the bass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conventional bluetooth devices are prone to unacceptable latency, as has been mentioned in these posts.

 

But there is a technology that may reduce the delay to virtually unnoticeable level. Look for an aptX low latency bluetooth transmitter for best results. In order for it to work optimally, the receiving end, whether it's a standalone receiver, BT speaker, or a BT headphone or earbud set, must also be aptX-equipped. I've used such a setup on a PC with BT earbuds to watch Netflix movies without lip sync issues that occur with plain-vanilla bluetooth.

 

As you might expect, aptX devices cost more, but they're worth it if it does what you want.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, phil_m said:

 

It is 100% the Bluetooth headphones. The music is being streamed over Bluetooth and you don't notice the latency because you have nothing else to compare it to. You notice the latency from the Bluetooth because you're comparing it to your real-time playing on the bass.

 

I was pretty sure the music didn't have latency and my instrument did, but I went ahead and tested again with my BlueTooth transmitter and headphones. I stopped and started the music, and it seemed almost instantaneous. I tried it with my wired headphones and realized there was a little delay. I think that delay meant I was already listening to (and playing with) music which was delayed, and by the time my playing made it back through my mixer and to my ears, it was even further behind. I guess I'll need a different wireless solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cbrillow said:

Conventional bluetooth devices are prone to unacceptable latency, as has been mentioned in these posts.

 

But there is a technology that may reduce the delay to virtually unnoticeable level. Look for an aptX low latency bluetooth transmitter for best results. In order for it to work optimally, the receiving end, whether it's a standalone receiver, BT speaker, or a BT headphone or earbud set, must also be aptX-equipped. I've used such a setup on a PC with BT earbuds to watch Netflix movies without lip sync issues that occur with plain-vanilla bluetooth.

 

As you might expect, aptX devices cost more, but they're worth it if it does what you want.

 

Thanks for the info. I"ll look into the aptX devices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone successful with the Aptx bluetooth transmitter and headphones along with G10S? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...