Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 with Friedman ASM-12. Not LOUD enough...

tormod1

I bought a Friedman to go with my HD500, after reading really good things about it. I sold my Dt25 which was great, but I just wanted to go another way... Amongst the things I noticed with the ASM-12 was that it was supposed to be LOUD, which is always a good thing when you need it.

The Friedman is great, and the sounds I get are great. But I really thought it should be louder..?

I run the Friedman at max volume, the amp-sim at full volume, and the master on the 500 at half volume, and with these settings it's just loud enough for home playing.. loud but not LOUD.

I'm really worried what will happen at band practice, that I just won't be loud enough...

Anybody else with Friedman in here who could share some thoughts on this with me....?

You must be connecting it using the XLR output from the HD500?

The Friedman is expecting a Line level signal (0dbV) on its XLR's (or at least that is what it outputs) but the HD500 only outputs a Mic level signal somewhere around -20 dbV from the XLR output sockets, but it outputs a 0dbV signal from the 1/4" outputs.

I suggest getting 1/4" to XLR adaptor and sending the signal from the HD500 1/4" outputs to the Friedman.

Totally different speakers:

The Alto is a general purpose PA speaker and has "mic/line inputs" intended to work with mic level signals and it's 800W can give 125dB Peak SPL

The Friedman is a monitor designed for use with modellers and wants line level signals; its 500W can give 129bB Peak SPL

6db difference is a doubling in volume, so assuming the manufacturer figures are anything like comparable (probably not) then the Friedman is half as loud again as the Alto.  

That said 125dB peak or even 122 dB continuous is stupid loud for close listening, so both are good; the differences will be in the quality of the sound and there you usually get what you paid for.

Professional Stage monitors such as those made by my local sound reinforcement company (they do big events such as stadium tours or outdoor festivals) are £1350 each to buy, weigh 42KG, have separate inputs for the woofer and tweeter (to be fed by a £2000+ speaker processor) and "only" output about 105dB which is loud music level but not too dangerous to your hearing.