Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Only the Good Die Young

spaceatl

I'm not really looking for anything specific, but I am just curious what you guys might do if you were tasked to play Only the Good Die Young (Billy Joel) and you would not have time for a guitar change...So you are on your fav 6 string conventional electric and you gotta spin up a tone for this tune. A Vax would make this too easy....just a basic outline of the chain you might setup a tone in your HD for this song...Not looking for a patch as I have one...Anyhoo, I am just curious...

Well hopefully you're on a single coil or at least something with a split coil. Bridge pickup, probably a twin reverb. I've never tried this but it might work to use the smart harmony with the shift +8 (octave) and the mix at 100%, and compress the crap out of it.  That's what pops into my mind.

If that didn't work or sounded too artificial I'd probably opt to Capo it up pretty high on the fretboard and then use a fairly standard clean, compressed signal path.  Interesting challenge though.

Assuming that I was in a band that took requests and "Only the Good Die Young" would be a song that could be an acceptable request... 

I would already have patches installed that could be used on an electric that would sound like an acoustic - not sounding like an acoustic the way an acoustic or variax does, but something that would be 'doable'. 

I mean, sure, if I knew in advance that I was playing it, I would have a patch made specifically for it. But, if I didn't know, I would just have some general patches for all situations. 

Hard Rock. Rock. Country. Picking. Strumming. 

Thank you guys....Some interesting ideas. We ran the song twice last night at rehearsal where I had a patch spun up that used a few of these ideas...tapped pups, some straight chorus...Basically, a Soldano Clean with No Cab into a dual FX chain with a Vintage Pre->Dimension on one and the other dry on the mixer with both chains panned center...A spring verb on the end with really short decay and light mix...Vintage Pre worked ok to get the low end out of the wet chain and used the mixer to mix the dry and wet chain...It sounded decent, the first run through with band left me sort of...oh well, that was ok....decent approximation...but that is what it was...

next run through I used a goto JC120 clean patch I have and killed the delay and verb on it...Not much for me to do on this song other than swing like Freddy Green as our keys player has the piano, hammond and sax parts down pat...He loves that tune...It was somewhat surprising to me just how much better that 120 patch worked with the band...I love that JC120 model...

I really like the capo idea...simple, but that makes a lot of sense...

I also like the Acoustic Sim Idea....I have been thinking about getting one of those little BOSS ones, but then that's more to carry around...Really wish Line 6 would make one of those for HD as an amp model....

Thanks again gentlemen...