Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Table Top into DT25 (Amazing)

adagosto

Hi all,

Can anyone explain what I just observed at my son's rehearsal earlier today.

During the break, I plugged my Amplifi Table Top into the DT25 a slightly different way that I've never done before. This time I bypassed the DT25 preamp and used just the power section of the amp. I did this by connecting the 1/4" LEFT OUT of the Table Top into the DT25 RETURN. Nothing was plugged into the amp SEND and the guitar was plugged into the Table Top. Nothing was plugged into the DT25 INPUT.

So, effectively, the Line 6 Table Top took over complete control. The cabinet was a Carvin 2x12 with GT12's.

The sound was amazing. We never heard the amp models better including when the HD500X was hooked up to the DT25 using the Link.

Why was the Table Top so clean into the amp? There was no noise at all and the fattest distortion amps all sounded prefect. The Marshall tones also sounded great.

So, why does it sound so good into the DT25 and why does it sound so much better than other tube amps that I have connected the same way?

• Upvote 2

Can anyone explain what I just observed at my son's rehearsal earlier today.

During the break, I plugged my Amplifi Table Top into the DT25 a slightly different way that I've never done before. This time I bypassed the DT25 preamp and used just the power section of the amp. I did this by connecting the 1/4" LEFT OUT of the Table Top into the DT25 RETURN. Nothing was plugged into the amp SEND and the guitar was plugged into the Table Top. Nothing was plugged into the DT25 INPUT.

So, effectively, the Line 6 Table Top took over complete control. The cabinet was a Carvin 2x12 with GT12's.

The sound was amazing. We never heard the amp models better including when the HD500X was hooked up to the DT25 using the Link.

Why was the Table Top so clean into the amp? There was no noise at all and the fattest distortion amps all sounded prefect. The Marshall tones also sounded great.

So, why does it sound so good into the DT25 and why does it sound so much better than other tube amps that I have connected the same way?

You just discovered the best kept not so secret DT 'Bogner' awesomeness! Essentially, it's this:

The DT amp is two components and they are separate. There is the 'HD' era 'DT' amp modeling - which is all digital, by Line6. Then there is the all analog, Bogner portion - the power amp, with all it's switching capability.

When you plug into the FX return, you are sending whatever signal directly to the Bogner power amp, and skipping all the HD/DT Line6 amp and cab modeling. I do exactly the same thing with my Helix, except I took a few extra steps using DtEdit to bypass the DT amp models entirely, and set up switches I-IV on channel B to match the corresponding topologies (I, II, III, IV). 

This allows me to use Line6Link from Helix to DT, bypassing all the DT preamp/cab models, using the Helix models / fx, etc, but also being able to switch the Bogner power amp portion of the DT:

- class A or class A/B

- pentode or triode

- topology I, II, III or IV

What you discovered is that the Bogner part of the DT amp is really amazing and in many ways far superior to the DT Line 6 HD amp modeling - which can be deactivated or bypassed - as you did by using the FX return, or by using DtEdit with a MIDI connection to re-program the DT amp models or bypass them entirely.

But this leads to a question now.

By using the Amplifi Table Top hooked up this way, is it possible to STILL use analog external pedals. If so, where do they go, before or after the Table Top?

I tried hooking up a pedal board IN FRONT of the Table Top and I couldn't tell how it sounded, it was after reheasal was over and the kids were hammering on the drumms and guitars. Too noisey. I couldn't even think!!

Thoughts??

• 1 month later...

When you plug into the FX return, you are sending whatever signal directly to the Bogner power amp, and skipping all the HD/DT Line6 amp and cab modeling.

I actually used to do this on my podxt, and an old flextone II.  Granted no tubes, but it used all the modelling from the XT and used the flextone as the power amp section.  Sounded great at the time for such a cheap setup.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and get a helix after looking through the threads a bit more.   Seems like a fairly painless integration. I'll just have to remember to turn everything back on in the DT if I ever decide to sell it. ha

I kind of wish someone would sticky the 2 main integration methods so DT users don't have to search through a bunch of threads.