Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Strymon or H9 Users?

regalpierot

Within a mere two days of owning it the Helix is, for me at least, the next chapter. I bought it while keeping all of my stompboxes and current effect setup (largely impractical setup I had but what is a gear lollipop to do) with the mind that only when I could reproduce or better the sound of a specific unit would I retire it and sell it off. About 80% there already. I have to admit thought I think m Big Sky, Timeline and H9 will be ones that just get brought into the mix in send\return loops (love that Line 6 integrated those).

With that in mind, has anyone successfully set up a midi control assignment to send activate\deactivate and preset up\down to either a Strymon or 9 connected via Midi. If so any tips. And one last related one, I promise, does anyone know if the Helix can send midi clock so that delays\modulation effects in a preset keeps attached pedals in line.

Thanks in advance

i have the same issue with midi clock..but im told that the helix does not have it at this time...and i don't think that you would get rid of h9...it has so many awesome sounds that helix does not have....but i love them both together....

I don't have an H9 or Big Sky, but I do have a HOG. It is very easy to set up the Helix to send MIDI commands to load presets on the HOG. I've scanned the H9 manual (considering adding it to my rig) and it looks similarly easy to set up.

I have messed around a little bit with connecting a timeline and Mobius, I don't remember the exact command #'s but you can find them in the strymons manual. But I was able to set up the tap tempo for the Mobius and timeline to be controlled from the helix tap tempo. I set up the timeline and Mobius so they would both be on the same midi Channel 1.

I was also able to set it up so switch A and B on the strymons were controlled by the helix as well, one switch for each. I set these up as midi commands 80 and 82 I believe, again these are in the manuals, and I set them to momentary not latching due to the lights on the helix would light up when switched, but if for example you hit "A" it would light up but if you then hit "B" then lights A and B on the helix would be lit up when only B was active so I opted for momentary switches that simply toggled when pressed.

Currently you are only able to send one midi message per footswitch, it is a shame because it really limits the use of using midi in my opinion. But there was a hint from staff somewhere that they were working on something to alleviate this. Because of this and the way strymons midi commands are set up if you were to have timeline and the big sky on the same channel using the tap tempo on the helix would activate the C preset. Because you cant send multiple messages as well the "scrolling" up and down on banks cant be done from the helix. If you have all of your presets set up on the exact same bank number on the timeline and big sky you would be able to recall specific presets from one footswitch on the helix but it could not be on the big sky C switch because this would be the timelines tap tempo.

A quick and dirty way to use these in the mean time is connect them on the same channel and have specific presets on the same banks and just use the timelines tap tempo and only use the big sky's A and B preset.

I have no experience with the H9 so I can't help with that sorry

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...