Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR's

talonmm

I am new to the concept of IR's having just purchased the Helix this weekend.  I see a custom tone I would like to download and there is at least one ir I will need.  The tone is called. BB VH Eruption. 

Here is the description:  Eruption

Eddie Van Halen humbucker.png billbassler Preset created using Helix firmware 1.12. IR used is RedWire & FREE. http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp. Downloaded IR location: Free-Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Shure SM57Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-Cap-2in. The tone is based on using a Charvel EVH Art series Strat. Helix through a Line 6 StageSource L2m monitor. To my ear this patch could also be used for Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love if the MXR flanger is added.

My questions are:  is there one IR I need or more?  One looks like a 1960 marshall and then there's mention above of an sm57.  So is there more than one IR needed?  Also, when I went to the site, it looks like the tone if free, but there are others that are not free.  Will I be able to get the proper sound with the free IR?  Last the zip file contains a whole bunch of files.  Does the Helix want me to extract the files before I try to import the IR or IR's or will the Helix handle that?

Thanks!

I am new to the concept of IR's having just purchased the Helix this weekend. I see a custom tone I would like to download and there is at least one ir I will need. The tone is called. BB VH Eruption.

Here is the description: Eruption Eddie Van Halen humbucker.pngbillbassler Preset created using Helix firmware 1.12. IR used is RedWire & FREE. http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp. Downloaded IR location: Free-Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Red Wire Impulses\BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Shure SM57Marshall1960A-G12Ms-SM57-Cap-2in. The tone is based on using a Charvel EVH Art series Strat. Helix through a Line 6 StageSource L2m monitor. To my ear this patch could also be used for Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love if the MXR flanger is added.

My questions are: is there one IR I need or more? One looks like a 1960 marshall and then there's mention above of an sm57. So is there more than one IR needed? Also, when I went to the site, it looks like the tone if free, but there are others that are not free. Will I be able to get the proper sound with the free IR? Last the zip file contains a whole bunch of files. Does the Helix want me to extract the files before I try to import the IR or IR's or will the Helix handle that?

Thanks!

Only one IR needed. I have not looked at that IR but I own the Redwirez big bundle so I am very familiar with them. They are great and I wish more would discover them. Each of the Redwirez cabs have multiple IR's. They capture them in multiple mic configurations. You just need to decide which you like. It would be cool to be able to select multiple ones as it would emulate a studio setup but it would kill your DSP. So you either load the one the preset suggests or you can experiment and try different mics or distances/positioning. I tend to like the cone at 1 to 2 inches. But sometimes the edge adds a cool sound so you really have to play.

Only one IR needed. I have not looked at that IR but I own the Redwirez big bundle so I am very familiar with them. They are great and I wish more would discover them. Each of the Redwirez cabs have multiple IR's. They capture them in multiple mic configurations. You just need to decide which you like. It would be cool to be able to select multiple ones as it would emulate a studio setup but it would kill your DSP. So you either load the one the preset suggests or you can experiment and try different mics or distances/positioning. I tend to like the cone at 1 to 2 inches. But sometimes the edge adds a cool sound so you really have to play.

They are great indeed. What I like about them is that they feel really good and sound very natural to me. With mixIR2 you can mix your own IRs and export them as a single .wav file. I've created my favorite IRs with that.

They are great indeed. What I like about them is that they feel really good and sound very natural to me. With mixIR2 you can mix your own IRs and export them as a single .wav file. I've created my favorite IRs with that.

I do not have Protools for the plugin. I may get in a month or two.

I forgot to mention that Chris Beaver, a member of this forum, has created 2 very good VH presets with IR's and they are free.

he posts new free presets each Thursday.

I did a search on custom tones and on google but did not see any of Chris's presets.  Can you please let me know where i can find them or what his tones are called?  thanks!

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone i need some advice on my helix floor! I bought the Ownhammer 412 rect ir’s pack and downloaded the file, I have an account and i have helix edit 2.71 also signed in on my account, also my gear is registered and my device authorized! But if i open the files there are only HIR files and no WAV also on helix edit if i clink on import and choose the ir file still HIR file and if i click file type and choose WAV file it says the file is empty! Don’t know whats going on everything is up to date! Thanks!