Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Parallel Path volume increase

Nimbas

Yes I know there's another thread on this but it's dead and I wanted to ask some more questions.  I write most patches to be used in house of worship to the board scenario - so I have to control volume increases.  The Helix doesn't have an internal VU meter and my cheap mixer at home only shows the signal is clipping - so I'm trying to understand the volume jumps of a parallel path.

If I have a pretty simple setup - amp > delay > reverb and I pull the delay or reverb down into a parallel path (creates y split and merge block automatically) - how much is the volume actually increasing?  To compensate for that increase, should you lower the volume at the merge block?  

Any other advise or recommendations for someone setting up patches and trying to limit volume like I do?

That didn't really answer my question.  

I know when I pull a block down to a parallel path there is a volume increase.  I can see it on my mixer because I go from green to red (clipping).  I need to know how much that increase is so I can compensate for it somehow (in the merge block)?  It's an increase and therefore - a problem.  If I had a better mixer at home I could figure it out.

If I have patches that use parallel paths and those that don't - I need to balance the volume between them.

My away from home guess would be 3db.

To note, when I pull down to create a parallel path, I never noticed a vol jump. I used to notice a volume drop if i did not merge the paths back together. that was many firmwares ago so maybe things have changed

There is not a jump at all, it is a volume drop. It decreases the volume from each path by 3 dB, which is incredibly annoying if you are using them as alternate paths to switch between. If you are noticing a volume increase, then it is likely because you haven't set the delay to 100% wet, so you are getting clean signal from both paths. In which case... what's even the point of putting the delay on a second path?