Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking to go Variax (again) and need some advice

Hey guys! So here's the deal. A long time ago I had one of the original Variaxes. And it had the whole "plink" thing going on. So I returned it.

Few years later, my dad gets the JTV-89 fixed, and it's absolutely perfect.

Then, by the time I can afford one, they've discontinued it and replaced it with the 89F...and I can't stand floyds. So I got the 69...and absolutely hated it. Horrible neck, horrible bridge (coming from Ibanez's, of course I would feel this). So I sold it, at quite a loss.

Now I'm on the hunt again. I need the modelling for work, and I need a good solid 6 string for my personal projects.

So, firstly can you get the fixed models *anywhere* any more? It's basically perfect for me.

If not, what is the 59 like? I'm not too keen on massive chunky necks, but I'd possibly be willing to live with it if the mag pickups were good for metal, and the palm muting sounded good on it.

And failing that...89F. I'm seeing threads about "weird noises" on the 6th string. Is this still an issue? I'll go Floyd if I absolutely have to but not if there's a chance I'll get a dud.

Thanks for your help guys!

If not, what is the 59 like? I'm not too keen on massive chunky necks, but I'd possibly be willing to live with it if the mag pickups were good for metal, and the palm muting sounded good on it.

If you thought the 69's neck was a baseball bat, then the 59 will probably seem like a telephone pole. Coming from slim Ibanez necks, I suspect anything but the 89 is gonna be a chore. In my experience, trying to "make do" with a neck you don't like is roughly equivalent to attempting to run a marathon in shoes that are 2 sizes too small.

The nice thing about the 69 is that you can replace the neck. Warmoth makes Strat replacement necks with a variety of profiles and radius options that will fit the 69. I hated it too...replaced it after a month or two. Problem solved.

As for palm muting, "plink", and other assorted funky noises...you either get a good one, or you don't. And aside from various homespun "fixes" that vary widely from one instrument to the next, there really is no cure. L6 has formally announced that they've given up investigating the issue, much to the chagrine of affected customers...and what little is offered as a cause, along with what to adjust to make maker it go away is both comical, and insulting (and will probably appear later in this thread). From the available evidence, it seems that there are a variety of things that contribute to it, which vary from one unit to the next...hence the absence of a universal fix. Lots of them work just fine though, some don't. Nothing to do but cross your fingers and hope yours doesn't suck.