Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

PODXT USB recoding: lower signal volume?

Hi!

I connect my PODXT with my computer via USB....Windows -> sound -> PODXT as playback and recording device. I am able to record my guitar signal (the dry signal I want) in my recording software. However, the signal is too loud and sometimes clips. Changing the output knob of my POD or the chan volume OR Line 6 device volume only lowers the volume what I hear (PODXT sound, drum track etc....)...but no matter what I change, the guitar signal is always too loud and I don't know how to lower its volume.

Help please!

Thanks but there is none. My soundcard is a Delta 1010LT. When connecting the POD to my normal soundcard (output -> card input WITHOUT USB) I can adjust the volume in my soundcard's mixer.

However, when using USB recording the POD becomes the soundcard! Neither the knobs nor the Windows mixer sliders change anything. The guitar signal always stays the same. I can even set the playback device volume of the POD in the Windows sound settings to 0 AND the recording volume of the POD in the Windows settings to 0 and still recording the signal results in a too loud file.

I have Cakewalk Sonar. I arm an audio track for recording by clicking the R icon...then select "POD XT In" as input signal....and this signal is always too loud, no matter what settings I change. :(

Thanks. Windows: everything set to POD. DAW: everything set to POD.

pod4rs38.jpg

Changing the input slider of the recording device ("Aufnahme") does not affect the volume. Yes, it is set to 100 but changing it to 0 does not do anything. Changing the output slider of the playback device ("Wiedergabe") only affects what I hear...what is the second tab (green) for? I can select some standard device...what does it do?

Btw, you cannot control the input volume in Sonar. You have to adjust the volume BEFORE recording files in Sonar.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Input-volume-not-working-Sonar-8-m1605306.aspx

There are no no software controls that will alter the unprocessed guitar signal sent from the PODxt via USB.

You likely already have, but can you confirm in the Line6 Audio-MIDI control panel that you are sending the unprocessed signal and not reamping?

Can you post a snapshot of your device selection in your DAW?

It doesn't clip while playing power chords or single notes. I get the clipping when strumming all six strings (percussion style) hard....mostly...sometimes also during normal play but seldomly.

Can't post a screenshot at the moment as I do not want to change my guitar's volume setting. I have an Ibanez RG 350 EX with standard INF pickups. I use the bridge pickup.

I will test it with my Fender Stratocaster to see if there is a difference.

Just grasping my man! On a Pro its easy but I cannot recall a method other than the Channel Vol which the OP sez didn't work. Dropping the signal via the EQ could work but is not really the solution.

I know, So am I !!  :)

The only way I know of is to dim the signal before it goes into the POD, like roll off the guitar volume, adjust pick-up height, something between guitar and POD....but then you're altering your tone.

Yeah, the channel volume will only affect the processed signal.

I guess another work around would be to create a transparent as possible patch and send the processed signal and use the channel volume.

Ok, did some testing.

Ibanez RG 350 EX, INF pickups (default ones), humbuckers, bridge pickup: seldom clipping!
Fender Stratocaster MN, default pickups, single coils, bridge pickup: no clipping!

Both guitars don't have new strings...the Ibanez is louder.

I have two pedals, a Digitech Whammy and a Dunlop Wah. The Wah does not change the volume but the Whammy decreases the volume...I have to set the guitar knob to 100% and I don't get any clipping.

The volume knob of the Fender gradually increases volume...making volume swells easy. The Ibanez goes from silent to loud in only 20% of the knob range..and gets even louder at full volume.

I don't have a problem setting the volume to a medium setting as the tone is not worse (compared to 100% volume)....however, my question is if getting a new guitar port (Line 6 port or Pod HD) will fix my problem or if my clipping will remain.

Did you try lowering the EQ level? that should lower the output vol and might help your clipping cease.

I like the HD myself (but still use XTs/X3s) the HD lets you pad the input but still you "can" make it clip.  :)

Or you can pop a buffer pedal in the XT's chain.

As BillBee mentions, the POD HD (500 and Pro) can pad the input, (the desktop bean cannot).

The UX2 also has a guitar pad input that you can use if you are clipping the regular guitar input (GX and UX1 does not).

If you are just wanting to get an unprocessed guitar signal into your DAW, the POD HD would be overkill.

Take this with a grain of salt as it has been a year since I recorded with the XT. :)

But when I record with the XT/Gearbox (yep the old faithful GB) the patches on the unit are what is being recorded by the DAW. So when I change a patch on the XT the tone changes to what is being recorded. I am not taking in a dry signal though that could be done.

I might be able to dig the XT out and fire up it up in the next day or so but it depends on what the band has up for some make up days.

But when recording via USB the POD and all its settings is bypassed....only the pure guitar signal is recorded.

Except of course for the pedals you have going in front of the xt.

Many pedals that has their own power source may act as a preamp.