Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x XLR in mono?

HankNJ

Hello: I want to record my HD500X via XLR cable in MONO, but I find that with some of the effects (like the stereo delay effects for example) I can only hear left of right side of the effect. I would like to hear both summed to a mono output.

What's the correct way to do this? If I use the 1/4" jack marked "mono" I assume I am losing sound quality as compared to the XLR connection. THANKS!

Unless you need to do long cable runs, the difference between the XLR output and the 1/4" into your interface/DAW is negligible. That being said.. the XLRs don't "sum to mono" like the 1/4" outs do. So if you want the XLR out in mono... you need to rethink the patches that use stereo effects and change them over to mono. Or.. if you have and open slot.. insert a mono effect as your last item in the FX chain - that will do the trick as well.

• Upvote 1

... I assume I am losing sound quality as compared to the XLR connection. THANKS!

I used an HD 500 for years. Not only are you NOT losing sound quality, in my experience (and some others') the 1/4" output (with regular guitar cable) to a DI box to a balanced line sounded just a teeny bit BETTER than the XLR outs. 

Don't use TRS cables. It's not a TRS connection.