Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Static electricity and the Helix

RedZepp

I'm putting together a road case for my Helix. I intend to be taking it on tour at the end of the year, and the soft-sided bags will not cut it in the equipment truck.

I bought a pedalboard case, and just so happens that the shipping foam inserts that come originally with the Helix fit perfectly inside. Upon experimenting with padding with extra pieces of acoustic foam, I noted the foam was generating some static electricity and took it out. Is the static something I should be concerned about with the Helix, seeing as it is a computer? Any recommendations for "safer" foam to pack with?

Thanks!

It shouldn't be a big deal if just transporting it in the foam. Even if static builds up on the foam, the static discharge should not make it to the internals of the Helix. Now if you take your Helix apart, definitely don't touch the internals without being grounded.

Static builds up on the exterior of objects and seeks to discharge to "ground"When you touch something that has a static buildup and you feel the little spark, the static is discharging to your body. Your body is acting as the ground.

I think using the factory packaging foam is a great idea if it fits in your case.

I'm putting together a road case for my Helix. I intend to be taking it on tour at the end of the year, and the soft-sided bags will not cut it in the equipment truck.

I bought a pedalboard case, and just so happens that the shipping foam inserts that come originally with the Helix fit perfectly inside. Upon experimenting with padding with extra pieces of acoustic foam, I noted the foam was generating some static electricity and took it out. Is the static something I should be concerned about with the Helix, seeing as it is a computer? Any recommendations for "safer" foam to pack with?

Thanks!

Using the high density foam that came in the helix box is a great idea!

Even if static builds up on the foam, the static discharge should not make it to the internals of the Helix. 

Not to argue but Ive repaired hundreds of "boxes" with electronics in the case that was zapped by a static discharge from outside the box, FYI.

Just remember to try and touch something else grounded before you touch Helix if its a dry and windy day.  :D