Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix USB out crackling

CalebF

I just bought a Helix LT, and I'm having issues trying to use Helix as an interface. I'm sending the XLR out as a line level to my Rokit 5's, and also sending my USB to my computer. When any audio signal comes out of my computer, through the helix, and out to the Rokit 5's, there's a bunch of crackling and popping. I have the volume set quite low, I've isolated the helix, computer, and monitors each to their own outlet, I've changed the USB cable around to various USB ports on my computer. It happens if I playback stuff I've recorded in Reaper, when I watch anything on YouTube, and during normal system sounds, but it doesn't happen at all when I'm just using the speakers to directly monitor the Helix.

On a side note, does anyone else find that any signals sent through the USB are really low? My amp is set to 10 on the channel and master, and 5 on the drive, and the signal is incredibly weak compared to the signals coming out of the computer.

That sounds like it's more likely related to the settings on your DAW (i.e. buffer size, etc.).  That's most often where crackling and popping tends to come from when the DAW processing can't keep up with demand.  It could also be related to other background processes on the computer that are stealing computer cycles from the DAW.

• Upvote 1

Helix defaults to 48khz. Not 44.1khz.

If it happens with YouTube it is more than likely not your DAW settings. If you have a decent rig with decent buffer settings 512 should be plenty.

I have had this happen. My rig is pretty beefy as well. It is why I am hoping for some new usb drivers for pc with the helix which make it more stable.

I fix the issue by refreshing the drivers. I open my DAW, change driver to "FL-ASIO" then back to the helix drivers. Asio4all will also work as a driver to temp switch to, and most DAWs support it. This forces a refresh of drivers. I get in the habit of doing it every time I open FLS.

This of course a work around, and more stable drivers are definitely welcome, and preferred.

Possible causes:

1) The buffer level is too low to manage the amount of streams you are sending to it - Increasing the buffer a little may resolve this

2) You have an issue with DPC Latency. An app such a Latency Mon will help you diagnose what app/driver/service is causing the issue. I had an issue with LAN drivers a few times!

3) Your USB port is noisy - this is very common. You may need something like the Audioquest Jitterbug (or suchlike) to attempt to mitigate the issue.

This obviously is by no means a conclusive list but is 3 things I have seen in the past few years. Good luck!

• Upvote 1