Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 A/b (xps) Pedal With Jtv

Hi Folks,

Curious to find out if anyone is using the line 6 A/B pedal to split the electric and acoustic sounds of the JTV as well as power the JTV? 

Does anyone know what powersupply it takes? I have a pedal power bank but the jack doesnt fit. I tried using the power supply that i use to carge the JTV...it fits but  the pedal doesnt seem to work.  the JTV power supply is 12v DC 1000mA.  There are no markings on the pedal..

does this even work with the JTV?

thanks

yes correct info... the line6 model number is PX2 you can find them easily...

and yes, it can be used with the JTV's

OK, i think i found my answer,, i need 9v AC 2000mA....

I know these XPS pedals were designed for the older variax models... anyone have success with the JTV's?

OK, i think i found my answer,, i need 9v AC 2000mA....

I know these XPS pedals were designed for the older variax models... anyone have success with the JTV's?

Careful!  You are looking at the wall-wart that supplies power to the XPS - NOT the voltage that is sent to the Variax (which almost certainly does not use AC power).  I would be interested in knowing what the actual DC voltage to the instrument ends up being while under load (i.e. with guitar plugged in and electronics active). 

To be clear:  Do not apply AC voltage to the guitar or Bad Things may happen.

The XPS conditions the power (AC to DC with filtering) before sending it out the TRS cable to the Variax.  I forget what the DC voltage is but it's a bit more than when running with the battery. (my 500)  I never use the XPS - prefer running on battery.

If you are ever in a position to measure it, I'd love to know.

I was going to try to measure it sometime this weekend - under load.  This requires measuring it on the board though because I can't get at the TRS when it's plugged in.  We can easily measure it unloaded if that's good enough. (at the TRS when the cable is unplugged.)

I would suggest removing the bottom of the XPS box rather than mucking with the guitar.  You should be able to get a voltmeter across ground and ring that way.  Or, if the sleeve of the 1/4" plug is not under heatshrink, just unscrew that.  Failing everything else, no load voltage is better than nothing.

Great - thanks very much for the information!  For those who have been following the thread on third-party batteries for the Variax, this implies that non-Line6 batteries could be made to work by rewiring +/- from the enclosure to the ground and ring of the 1/4" jack.  This is the least preferable solution, however.  Optimum solution is to find a way around the protection scheme that causes it not to recognize the inexpensive camcorder batteries.

Disclaimer:  I have not tried any of the above.  If you modify the electronics on your Variax you unquestionably void any warranty on the unit and take all responsibility for letting the magic smoke out of the internals.

• 10 months later...

I just bought a new XPS a/b pedal, but with no power supply. I picked up a cheap AC 9V 2000mA adapter and here is what happens:

It does power the JTV 59

But, the power light never comes on

The XLR & 1/4" lights work

But, no matter which of those is lit the signal is always coming out the 1/4"

So, bad switch? Or, bad power supply that isn't allowing the pedal to reach its potential?

• 4 years later...

Having curiosity, XPS-AB, JTV-89F, Variax 300, digital multimeter

and a TRS cable with screw-off connector shield,

I made under-load measurements with 123 VAC to PX-2G:

+ 6.94 V ring to shield with Variax 300, no AA cells

+ 6.96 V with JTV-89F on magnetics, with battery

+ 6.94 V on models, with battery

+ 6.98 V magnetics without battery

+ 6.97 V models without battery...

----=---

123 VAC to PX-2G to XPS-MINI:

8.20-1 VDC out no load
8.17 VDC into Variax 300 with or without VDI-USB; 4.29VDC @ battery box

---=---

For no obvious reason, background hum (via HD500 and headphones)

from JTV-89F magnetic pickups is louder without PX-2G power to XPS than with.

Peeking inside the XPS-AB, I saw no audio isolation transformer.

- XLR output balance, if any, is presumably electronic.

As a DI, it may be vulnerable to ground loops.

I read somewhere that an XPS-mini supplies somewhat more power

to a Variax 300 than does the XPS-AB, but the XPS-AB works for me

(for both audio out to HD500 and USB-VDI dongle to Variax Workbench).

Since turning JTV-89F tone and volume generates audible artifacts while attached to USB-VDI,

which are NOT hear from the Variax 300,  HD500 VDI gets used for the JTV-89F.

Variax 300 seemingly has more background hiss (unaffected by its controls) with XPS-MIN than XPS-AB.

I had expected XPS-MINI voltage, less about 1/2 Volt for blocking diode, would be present at 6xAA box..

Unlike the XPS-AB, which power LED is red until Variax load is detected (then green),

XPS-MINI LED does not illuminate without TRS plugged into it,

then is red whether or not Variax is connected.

Edited by blekenbleu
update for XPS-MINI

• 4 years later...

From the Line 6 JTV-59 Pilot's Guide:

Note: It is also possible to supply power to your Variax without a battery. When connected to VDI digital input-equipped hardware, such as a Line 6 Helix or POD HD, power is supplied via this connection. You can also power the guitar through the 1/4 inch Analog Output jack using the Line 6 XPS A/B Power supply and 1/4 inch TRS cable in the Variax Cable Power Kit (P/N: 98-034-0105).