Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cheat sheet - Mic/Cabs specifically

themetallikid

I know there is the general guide to the amps/cabs/mics etc....but...

Is there a cheat guide that gives a generic 'EQ Flavors' of the mics and cabs.  I understand they are paired in the Amp/Cab block with their original counterparts, but if/when I get to exploring some more exotic combinations, it'd be nice to not have to click through 20 options to get in the ballpark of what I'm looking for. 

Generally (warning: generic statement being made here, lol) I understand you can almost make any cab/mic/amp sound like you want with enough tweaking.  But a Marshall Amp through a Mesa cab has certain flavor you can dial in by using a Fender 2x12.  Or an SM57 mic sounds very different than some of the others in the high end. 

Would just be nice to know certain mics have certain EQ flavors.  If I have a darker sounding amp, but need some more mids to cut through, sometimes just the mic/cab will do the trick without tweaking the amp to extremes.  Or would have a sound that needs a little thickness that the bass knob or an eq just cant hit right, maybe a different mic/cab would get you there. 

Is there anything like this out there? 

Here's another informative tutorial from RedWirez that might be useful to you:

http://www.redwirez.com/ir/DialingInYourTone.pdf

As you can see from this info it's not just about mics and cabinets, it's just as much about placement.  Although some of this doesn't apply directly to stock Helix cabs, a lot of the same effects can be achieved through the distance and early reflections parameters.  I'm afraid you're not going to get much more in the way of specifics than this.  The rest is up to your ear and your personal preferences.  If you're like most of us you'll eventually settle on certain mic combinations and settings that tend to work best for you.