Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DL 4 - Effects remain 'ON' and create unwanted feedback/noise when selected 'OFF'

I own a Line 6 Dl4 that I run in front of my amplifier with some other effects such as a noise gate, tubescreamer, reverb.  I use a couple delays on each preset of the Dl4.  I'm running into a problem where when I turn off these delays I use as presets on the Dl4, they won't turn OFF.  The delays hang around and create unwanted feedback and hiss when I turned the preset OFF and want to continue playing the guitar without an effect.  Does anyone know of a potential fix for this?  I'm going to bring it into Guitar Center today but due to the price of this pedal, I'm not sure if the repair costs would be worth it.  Thoughts?

Here's a snip from the DL4 manual that may be relevant:

True Bypass & Alternate Bypass
Stomp Box Modelers include mechanically switching relays that switch in when you bypass the pedal (by kicking the stomp switch to turn off the memory you are using). These relays route your signal directly from input jack to output jack, around all the circuitry, for absolutely no processing or analog-to-digital conversion while in bypass. There’s also an alternate bypass mode available that keeps the DSP engaged while bypassed, so with the Delay modeler, for instance, your delays can trail away when you kick the pedal off. If you want this Alternate Bypass mode, hold the first and third (from the left) stomp switches while plugging in the left/mono guitar input. (When the left/mono input is unplugged, your pedal is powered off.) Your pedal will remember to stay in this Alternate Bypass mode until you re-enable True Bypass.

If you're DL4 is misbehaving sometimes a simple reset will set it right, though you will lose any saved presets.

You can reset your pedal to the factory settings by powering it up with the A and D footswitches held down - the power is turned on and off on the modeler pedals by inserting a plug into the left mono input jack.