Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

spdif connection - extra tones

Doug6String

I use two 1/4" cables from my Helix rack to my Presonus Studio 192 audio interface.  I decided to use the spdif connection to free up those to inputs and cables.  I can hear extra tones (not distortion) on some guitar notes only in the right channel when using spdif on all the presets I tried.  I tried two different cables (2 feet and 6 feet) and they do the same thing.  I note that the sound is "real" and is recorded to my DAW (Presonus Studio One 3.5).  It's definitely not there when using the 1/4" cables.  

I set the Helix preset output to spdif, and in the Helix settings I selected digital out and spdif.  This is not clipping.  It's literally extra tones -  not super loud but loud enough that when I'm playing alone I hear it.  It's there if I use a mono preset (still only on the right) or stereo preset.  

A friend suggested opening a support ticket, but I thought maybe someone encountered this and knows something I'm missing.

Thanks (Win 10, i7-7700, 64 bit, 16 Gb ram, SSD)

What's your preset look like?

Have you tried just connecting the guitar and using an empty preset?  Do you still hear the tones?

The kicker is.... It's only on the right in a mono preset.  That's not right, I mean, a truly mono preset should be equal on both sides.  Really weird.

Is the preset really mono?  Even mono signals are still stereo, and they get combined to mono at the last second (I assume) when you connect by 1/4 in or XLR. Do you have a reverb block (those are all stereo).

Could be an issue in your Helix, but, have you tried any other S/PDIF capable input devices you could connect to your Presonus?  Do you have an old HD500 or something lying around to make sure it's not in the PreSonus?

I'd definitely try recording an empty preset and see what you get.

A mono signal should be the same on both sides.  S/PDIF output will always be stereo, but the signal should be the same on both sides if it's truly mono.

I'd definitely open a ticket with Line 6, sounds like it could be a bug if it's happening in the Helix.

What's your preset look like?

Have you tried just connecting the guitar and using an empty preset?  Do you still hear the tones?

The kicker is.... It's only on the right in a mono preset.  That's not right, I mean, a truly mono preset should be equal on both sides.  Really weird.

Is the preset really mono?  Even mono signals are still stereo, and they get combined to mono at the last second (I assume) when you connect by 1/4 in or XLR. Do you have a reverb block (those are all stereo).

Could be an issue in your Helix, but, have you tried any other S/PDIF capable input devices you could connect to your Presonus?  Do you have an old HD500 or something lying around to make sure it's not in the PreSonus?

I'd definitely try recording an empty preset and see what you get.

A mono signal should be the same on both sides.  S/PDIF output will always be stereo, but the signal should be the same on both sides if it's truly mono.

I'd definitely open a ticket with Line 6, sounds like it could be a bug if it's happening in the Helix.

I’ve tried many presets with the same result.  I have no effects on and just the amp on, or everything incl the amp off and just a delay.  In all cases it’s there, only on the right. I even tried two guitars – it’s more noticeable with a single coil vs. Humbucker due to the higher tone, I think.  Dist and stereo effects make it more obvious, but it’s there.  And I tried an empty preset (great idea) – same issue, still only on the right. 

You’re right – very odd that I hear this only on the right side even with everything being mono!  I don’t have any other deices – just the two cables to try.  Any chance you use spdif?  If you do, can you pluck an A note on the B string at the 10th fret?  That’s where it’s loudest.

Seems like a bug. I’ll try a ticket.

As always, thanks for your help!

I’ve tried many presets with the same result.  I have no effects on and just the amp on, or everything incl the amp off and just a delay.  In all cases it’s there, only on the right. I even tried two guitars – it’s more noticeable with a single coil vs. Humbucker due to the higher tone, I think.  Dist and stereo effects make it more obvious, but it’s there.  And I tried an empty preset (great idea) – same issue, still only on the right. 

You’re right – very odd that I hear this only on the right side even with everything being mono!  I don’t have any other deices – just the two cables to try.  Any chance you use spdif?  If you do, can you pluck an A note on the B string at the 10th fret?  That’s where it’s loudest.

Seems like a bug. I’ll try a ticket.

As always, thanks for your help!

I use the spdif all the time for monitoring purposes. I've never heard anything unusual coming from the right speaker, regardless of note or preset - including an empty one. Perhaps you could post a clip of what you're hearing.

spdif noise.mp3

I use the spdif all the time for monitoring purposes. I've never heard anything unusual coming from the right speaker, regardless of note or preset - including an empty one. Perhaps you could post a clip of what you're hearing.

I guess it's good it works for some/most.  I'm attaching an MP3.  It's a preset with the Essex A30 and one IR.  It's pretty obvious.  You can hear it in an empty preset but it's much more subtle.  With any FXs, it's far worse!

attachicon.gifspdif noise.mp3

I guess it's good it works for some/most.  I'm attaching an MP3.  It's a preset with the Essex A30 and one IR.  It's pretty obvious.  You can hear it in an empty preset but it's much more subtle.  With any FXs, it's far worse!

Definitely sounds wonky, almost at times like a ring modulator. No idea what that could be. I assume you're plugging the spdif into your Presonus Studio 192? Is there any way you could bypass that from the signal path, as FlyingsCool suggested? For example, if you have a receiver, stereo or surround sound or whatever, with an spdif input. Or if you can't do that, maybe investigate some of the settings on the Presonus. If none of that works, you could try a global reset: hold down switches 5 & 6 while powering on. And if that doesn't work, I'd probably just open a support ticket.

Sounds like a clock issue. I have an old Presonus FP10 FireWire interface that I use with my PC. When I need to do a SPDIF connection, I have to make the FP10 slave to the clock coming from the SPDIF device. I think think the 192 needs this as well... from the manual:

Power User Tip: In UC Surface, you will need to set “S/PDIF†as the Clock Source and the sample rate to correspond to the external device when using an external S/PDIF device as your master clock. See Section 4.6 for details

If you haven't already... you might try this.

Sounds like a clock issue. I have an old Presonus FP10 FireWire interface that I use with my PC. When I need to do a SPDIF connection, I have to make the FP10 slave to the clock coming from the SPDIF device. I think think the 192 needs this as well... from the manual:

Power User Tip: In UC Surface, you will need to set “S/PDIF†as the Clock Source and the sample rate to correspond to the external device when using an external S/PDIF device as your master clock. See Section 4.6 for details

If you haven't already... you might try this.

Yup - thanks for the help.  I've stooped so low as to read the manual and I did this today!  I noticed with my Helix rack, the only clock options are Internal and WordClock.  I have the same problem with the 192 as the spdif clock and the Helix using Internal (both are on 44.1 kHz).  With the Helix on WordClock there's no sound.  I'll see what Line 6 says since I opened a ticket, but, based on your experience, is it worth getting a WordClock cable and trying that?  The Helix and 192 both have that connection, although Helix only has "in" so I guess it'd be the slave to the 192.

Definitely sounds wonky, almost at times like a ring modulator. No idea what that could be. I assume you're plugging the spdif into your Presonus Studio 192? Is there any way you could bypass that from the signal path, as FlyingsCool suggested? For example, if you have a receiver, stereo or surround sound or whatever, with an spdif input. Or if you can't do that, maybe investigate some of the settings on the Presonus. If none of that works, you could try a global reset: hold down switches 5 & 6 while powering on. And if that doesn't work, I'd probably just open a support ticket.

Wow - it does sound like a ring modulator!  Yes, plugged into the 192.  The only other device I have that'll take spdif is an oldish dvd player.  I can't hear this sound in that with a movie on, but as I write this, I'm thinking I should take that MP3 I attached and put it on a dvd and play it.  I did open a ticket.  I like the idea of a reset.  I hate to screw with the Helix when every other thing works fantastically well so I'll see what L6 says and save that as a last resort.

Wow - it does sound like a ring modulator!  Yes, plugged into the 192.  The only other device I have that'll take spdif is an oldish dvd player.  I can't hear this sound in that with a movie on, but as I write this, I'm thinking I should take that MP3 I attached and put it on a dvd and play it.  I did open a ticket.  I like the idea of a reset.  I hate to screw with the Helix when every other thing works fantastically well so I'll see what L6 says and save that as a last resort.

Ha ha - I have to quote myself because that was a stupid comment!  Of course if I take the sound in the MP3 and put it on a disk I'll hear it in a dvd player using a spdif connection!  Wanted to correct myself before you all respectfully correct me!