Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 Quit while playing

john_rut

I was playing at band practice and all of a sudden no sound.  Power is on and all switches are responding so I figured it had to be a tube. I changed out to my backup set and still no sound.  I can see the tubes powering up but still nothing at all.  I tried resetting the amp as suggested in the manual and still nothing.  Any suggestions on troubleshooting the preamp section or the digital section?

Unless you have experience dealing with valve amps, keep you fingers out of the insides.

Touch a line the wrong way and you get zapped,... even if it's unplugged. One good capacitor

discharge into you and you're done. And if you're prone to heart conditions, it's worse.

It hurts when you get zapped by a capacitor. Leave it to the techs with the experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After taking it in to a Line 6 authorized repair place it turned out to be the power supply connector to the digital board was heating up and failed. The tech informed me this also happens to the DT50 as well. He also confirmed the need for the EHX tubes based on the way the digital board interacts with the power section of the amp. If you are looking for a backup set the EHX mid duet is the specific ones needed. Going forward I won't be trying to bias myself after hearing about the intensive burn in protocol for new tubes.

I have to say after fixing it and the new tubes it sounds better than it ever has...

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1

After taking it in to a Line 6 authorized repair place it turned out to be the power supply connector to the digital board was heating up and failed. The tech informed me this also happens to the DT50 as well. He also confirmed the need for the EHX tubes based on the way the digital board interacts with the power section of the amp. If you are looking for a backup set the EHX mid duet is the specific ones needed. Going forward I won't be trying to bias myself after hearing about the intensive burn in protocol for new tubes.

I have to say after fixing it and the new tubes it sounds better than it ever has...

Hope this helps!

Interesting about the power supply connector being the cause. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your amp man.

There is a whole set of signal checks and tests done after putting new tubes (valves) in,

sp that it runs stable with the new tubes (valves).

For the DT50, EL34EH matched pairs from Electro-Harmonix for the power tubes (valves),

12AX7EH low microphonics for the pre-amp tubes (valves).

For the DT25, use the EL84EH Electro-Harmonix (matched pairs) for the power tubes (valves),

and 12AX7B China for pre-amps.