Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Couple of beginner questions on legacy spider amps

bobmetelsky

Hi - new user of Line 6 amps, I have 2 of them   spider IV 30 and spider 2 75

I'm not understanding how the  channels a thru d work - this may be extremely obvious but this is why I'm asking

On the model dial, you have 6 models with 2 choices per model  = 12 choices

The channel buttons only have 4 choices

The way it seems to work is that I can use the channel buttons to pick 4 of my favorite models rather than having to turn the dial... Is that right? seems too simple  and limiting... (im only getting 4 out of 12, the others I have to use the dial) - why not have all 12?

I was hoping the  4 "channel" buttons would capture the settings of all the 12 dialed choices so  each "channel" could give me presets for the whole range of  12 models - that would be tremendously better in my opinion.

Next question, are the models the same  on the 2 of my amps? The insane does not seem to be, Ive  factory reset (press channel a while powering on...) but they seem different. The insane on the II 75 is unreal! , on the IV good but not as the II.

I would think they should be the same...

One more... :-) 

I'm guessing there is no way to selectively reset models? I could spend a lot of time getting one right and could lose it. I suppose I could go through and write the settings down on paper. Is there any other alternative?

I've got these 2 amps used at a very low price, probably due to their age, but they are extremely well made and work very great.

Thanks

Bob

The A, B, C, D buttons access saved sound configurations (patches) - these include tone, channel volume and FX settings.

There are changes in the amp modeling/sounds from generation to generation of the amps - you have a 2nd generation 75 and a 4th generation 30.  In addition, the speakers (sizes) differ in the two amps, so the sounds will indeed be different, although patch or model names may be the same.

Buy a used Spider IV 75 or higher model. These give you 16 banks of four "tone patches" that can be selected with the up-down/left-right Toggle or the Presets knob on the right side of the control panel. As you select one of the banks, the four "tone patches" are mapped into the A,B,C,D channels. The Spider IV 30 or lower amps are very limited. The Spider Jam 75 watt model is also very interesting. All the Spider IV models can use the Spider IV Edit application on Windows or Mac OS.

• 3 months later...

I have a Spider IV 75 and like it very much but I am looking at the Spider Jam because it has preset drum backtracks with it.  The Spider IV does not.  I use this amp for practice an giging.  Is the any difference in sound and output of these two amps if I decide to by the Spider Jam?

• 3 weeks later...

A B C and D are your amps

Say your in a band and your first song is a ballad or something, Amp "A" would be your Roland clean amp using a clean amp model and a nice chorus you set up how you want the clean sound and you then push and hold the "A" button and that saves all your settings to your patch "A" (CHAN VOL at 8)

Next your band plays an 80s cover song so now your patch "B" you chose the green crunch model, you add some tape echo and a touch of reverb with alot of midrange in the EQ setting now you save that to patch "B" (CHAN VOL 6)

Now your band tunes down to a drop D tuning for a cookie monster vocal song you setup your sound using the red insane model with lots of gain, the bass and treble controls are at 10 and some reverb this becomes your patch "C" (CHAN VOL 6)

finally your drop "D" song you have a killer guitar solo worked out and you want everyone to hear it, so what you do is you take all of the same settings of patch "C" but you turn the channel volume to 8 so during the song your playing at a nice balanced volume with the band but when your solo comes you change to patch "D" and your solo really stands out because its up a few click louder then patch "C" and after your solo you step back to patch "C" and finish on a happy note.

The cool thing is with both of your amps you can get a foot switch and now you have banks of A-D patches. If you download the manual it tells you that stock the amp has 1 bank of 4 patches but with the Floor pedal your open to i believe 16 banks A-D so thats 16X4 more saved patches you get with the foot pedal. You also open the amp to a whah pedal and volume with the foot pedal. Pretty powerful upgrade

I have the IV 30 and IMO it smokes the spider 2

I love to set up a patch say metal with low gain and then use the boost function which is like a tube screamer and it has to be the best amp sound ive got out of any of my line 6 amps.

I have an older AX2- 212 and it works good on that amp also, say a default JCM800 patch has like 80 of 99 on the gain ill back it down to like 20 and put on an OD pedal with just a light gain on the boost pedal and i swear it sounds better then the patch did with the drive at 80. REALLY cool because this is how real tube amps sound to me